1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I know its not that important but...

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Tarq, Feb 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tarq

Tarq Thread Starter

its the reason why I searched for a site like this in the first place. It was my first problem and it was solved the same day by emtronics. The Internet Explorer icon on my XP start menu has changed back to the old fashioned 9x colours instead of the retro xp colours. How can I change it back because its not like a normal shortcut and you can't change the icon. Emtronics told me to turn it off then restart or something similar and can't remember exactly. Theres a screenshot below..someone please help!

[​IMG]

2. Dan O

Dan O

Maybe the Windows Theme was changed. Right click on a blank space on the desktop and make sure Windows XP is selected for Themes.

3. Flrman1

Flrman1

4. Tarq

Tarq Thread Starter

Oh cool thanks, I dint know you could go that far back! No wonder I'm getting so much spam how naive I was to use my e-mail address.

5. Flrman1

Flrman1

You're Welcome. Anytime you want to find an old thread you can go to the top of any page on TSG and click on "search" and do a search by keyword or username. I have found threads going as far back as a 1 1/2 years ago. I don't know how far back it will go.

6. Tarq

Tarq Thread Starter

ahhhhhhh it didnt work.

what should I do now??

:confused:

PS I tried "Maybe the Windows Theme was changed. Right click on a blank space on the desktop and make sure Windows XP is selected for Themes." that too!

7. Flrman1

Flrman1

Right click the IE icon and go to properties choose the "shortcut" tab, at the bottom you will see "change icon" change it to whatever you want.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

8. Tarq

Tarq Thread Starter

Did you read my post? I can't right click and change the icon because its not a normal shortcut. Its pinned to the top of my XP start menu and I only have three options on the shortcut menu:
    Browse The Internet
    Internet Properties
    Remove From This List

as you can see from the diagram in the original post.

Can you help?

9. Flrman1

Flrman1

Sorry for the mistake I didn't read your post again before replying. I have done some experimenting with mine and I don't see a way to change it. Maybe someone else will come along that knows. Gotta get back to the race. Go Gordon!!!!

10. Tarq

Tarq Thread Starter

What race?

Whose Gordon?

11. Flrman1

Flrman1

The Daytona 500. Jeff Gordon.

12. Tarq

Tarq Thread Starter

Oh right

13. Emtronics

Emtronics

RIGHT click the icon and choose REMOVE FROM LIST. Then RIGHT click the Task Bar and choose Properties. Click the Start Menu Tab and then choose the Customize button. Take the check mark out of the box by Internet Explorer and then put it right back in. Click OK and then click APPLY and then OK. This should fix the problem. :D

I know this is the same thing I told you to do last May. The only difference here is this time you are deleting the offending icon first. Also, is this the only icon that looks strange?

14. Tarq

Tarq Thread Starter

Thanks! It worked!!!!!

:D

15. Emtronics

Emtronics

You're welcome! Come back often! :)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!