1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I know this has KINDA been asked before...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ryanjoachim, Jun 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ryanjoachim

ryanjoachim Thread Starter

I am trying to decide between these two processors...
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103546

and

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103547

The only real difference I can see is in the L2 cache...since I use my rig for hardcore gaming, I'm not sure which one is worth it's weight in gold. Is the larger L2 cache really worth the extra $100+, or is the performance difference so small as to make it worthless?

Also, i'm planning on sticking with the nforce4 mobo's for this new setup(dual-core). I don't plan on using the usb for more than mouse/keyboard and maybe a card reader, so will I still be having trouble with the nforce boards, or is the usb issue the only big one plaguing everyone?
    (here is the board I was planning on getting: http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16813131568 )

2. pugmug

pugmug Banned

Damn that's alot of money for a cpu and mobo. If I were you I would shop around before buying.

3. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

I'd take the 4200, your not going to notice a difference, or one thats worth $100.

4. Rumpo-Stiltskin

Rumpo-Stiltskin

I concur........
    Put the extra $100 toward your graphic card(s).

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I had an nforce4 board with a 4200+ and everything except usb worked flawlessly. It was only when trying to copy files to a usb external drive that the lockups occurred.

6. ryanjoachim

Thanks a lot for the feedback guys!!

7. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

BTW I am going to steer you away from the nforce4 as would Johnwill if he sees this thread....

I am just using a USB KVM and I get mouse errativc movements. I had to add in a PCI USB card to get it to work but this disabled my system from being able to dual boot (I have no mouse keyboard ocmmands until the OS loads).

I like my 4400 but at the prices you speced I would have gone 4200. Do some price shopping you can find good deals. I got mine at a computer show for much less than you see on newegg.

Just another htought to add on to what you buy.

So in other words its not just high volume USB traffic that causes lockups and issues on these nforce4 borads.

8. ryanjoachim

hmm...this was the board I was thinking about getting...

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16813131568

If I wanted to stay away from nforce4, but still wanted to keep my SLI option (i'm getting 2 7900GTX's), what would be my best bet? I really have had bad experiences with all things ATI (hence my loving nvidia now)...

9. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Well I have the A8N-SLI Deluxe and I hate it so much I am going to toss it out the window... I am about to buy the ATI just to get rid of this USB problem but I am having issues deciding between the 3200 or the 1600. THough I have never had ATi problems really.

Mine is not the A8N32-SLI Deluxe you linke and I don't know what the difference is between the one I have and the one you linked in order to know if you may have it okay and not have any problems.

Also this really seems to be kind of hardware dependant. I just would hate to see you invest in a board, have it work fine for you for 5 months, have you buy a new USB periphrial and then have a bunch of USB problems.

ATI has the dual card options as well as the nvidia the only others I see are the SIS and the VIA but it looks like neither of those support 2 video cards.

So its either go with a chipset mfgr name you seem to dislike or role the dice and hope you don't have USB problems or possibly looks for a SIS or VIA that supports dual video cards but you won't find it on a 939 board made by ASUS (not 100% sure if these 2 chipset mfgrs even support dual video cards).

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!