1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved I know this is an old problem, but...

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ljsejones, May 4, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. ljsejones

ljsejones Thread Starter

Here’s my problem:

All my best software is on my old Toshiba Laptop. So I decided to run HD contents as a Virtual Machine on a Desktop booting on Windows 8.1. So I need an XP system that compatible with this machine. Since this machine started with XP, no problem...Except there is.

Machine: ASUS P5W DH Deluxe MB, NVIDIA 7900 GT, 8 GB 800 MHz RAM, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz overclocked to 3.00 GHz (The RAM is slightly overclocked but close to default). It has a SATA drive switcher that can boot on Mac OS X, Windows 8.1 Pro. and Windows 10 Pro. All these Systems use the RTL8187 Wireless driver with no problems. My XP install connects to the Wireless Router, but NO INTERNET!!!

The XP System is Home instead of Pro., I have Pro for this machine but all the important apps are running on XP Home so I stuck with it.

I 7-pass zeroed the drive I installed on, then did a clean install. Wireless connects to Router but no Internet, reinstalled, same thing. Installed SP 1, same. Installed SP 2, same thing. Installed SP 3, same thing. Tried an Ethernet cable to Router, SAME THING!

I’m not a novice...But also not an expert. My laptop has XP Home running SP 3, but the advanced Internet settings have far less entries. I just downloaded SP 2 and SP 3 last night from Microsoft, old SPs are much older.

(NOTE: Yes you can still download all XP stuff from Mcrosoft, but ONLY using IE With ActiveX enabled...Who knew!)

I apologize if this is too much information; but would someone please HELP, I’ll do a complete reinstall if need be.

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    So you are running XP as a guest OS in a virtual machine that's running in Windows 8.1 ?
    If so set the Network in the VM to NAT and you should be able to get onto the Internet.

What VM software are you using ?

If the wireless uses WPA2 encryption you need SP3 installed for XP to work with that.

3. ljsejones

ljsejones Thread Starter

Currently, this is a stand alone new install. I may or may not use it as a VM system. It is booting the computer perfectly and connecting to my router, just no internet.

4. ljsejones

ljsejones Thread Starter

Currently, this is a stand alone new install. I may or may not use it as a VM system.

It is booting the computer perfectly and connecting to my router, just no internet. My plan is to use EaseUS Todo backup to replace only the existing system on the clone of the original disk. The old system was for a different machine and won't boot on the machine it now resides on.

But the new XP build must first work on the different machine...And doesn't. Once I have the booting XP System married to the old disk clone, I was going to look into Visual Box 5.2.28 running on Win 8.1 as a host System. Until the XP System is debugged, I can't move forward.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Not everybody uses "connect to router" to mean the same thing. Does the PC communicate with the router? If so, what checks have you made to confirm that?

6. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    If I understand correctly you can't just clone XP to use as a VM, you have to do a clean install because the real hardware on a real PC will be different than the virtual hardware in a VM.

7. ljsejones

ljsejones Thread Starter

OK
    The XP install was assigned an address by the router. In the notification area there is the standard wireless connection symbol. Everything indicates XP is connected to my network “SLJONES”.

I keep coming back to TCP/IP as the problem. But I don’t understand why I have the same issue when I connect the machine to the router with a CAT5 Ethernet cable; I’m baffled. As I mentioned before, I tried a clean reinstall (actually twice, same problem).

I loaded the needed Yukon 88E-8053 Ethernet driver so the cable should have worked.

SPs 1,2 and 3 had no effect.

I tried turning off Windows firewall, no change. I tried changing Network Type from infrastructure to Ad Hoc, no change. All the TCP/IP Properties setting in the System that won’t connect to the internet are exactly the same as those in my laptop. Same XP Home SP3 System that DOES connect to the internet.

What’s really frustrating is I have an Intel Core 2 Extreme QX685 Quad Core 3.0 GHz Processor to replace my Intel Core Duo 2.4 GHz Processor, but I won’t make changes until I get past this issue.

When I tried the Internet Connection Setup, I got this “RUNDLL An exception occurred while trying to run “netshell dll,StartNCW””. Maybe the problem?

“If I understand correctly you can't just clone XP to use as a VM, you have to do a clean install because the real hardware on a real PC will be different than the virtual hardware in a VM.”

This why I’m building this XP System. I know linking this new XP System to the other cloned System’s Apps and Files on a different computer is going to be difficult. I also ordered a 500GB SSD for the laptop to preserve this data. But the laptop needs a new keyboard and cooling fan, so I’m hitting the preservation problem from two different directions.

I’m attaching several screen shots in hope of sorting this out.

Attached Files:

8. ljsejones

ljsejones Thread Starter

OK
    The XP install was assigned an address by the router. In the notification area there is the standard wireless connection symbol. Everything indicates XP is connected to my network “SLJONES”.

I keep coming back to TCP/IP as the problem. But I don’t understand why I have the same issue when I connect the machine to the router with a CAT5 Ethernet cable; I’m baffled. As I mentioned before, I tried a clean reinstall (actually twice, same problem).

I loaded the needed Yukon 88E-8053 Ethernet driver so the cable should have worked.

SPs 1,2 and 3 had no effect.

I tried turning off Windows firewall, no change. I tried changing Network Type from infrastructure to Ad Hoc, no change. All the TCP/IP Properties setting in the System that won’t connect to the internet are exactly the same as those in my laptop. Same XP Home SP3 System that DOES connect to the internet.

What’s really frustrating is I have an Intel Core 2 Extreme QX685 Quad Core 3.0 GHz Processor to replace my Intel Core Duo 2.4 GHz Processor, but I won’t make changes until I get past this issue.

When I tried the Internet Connection Setup, I got this “RUNDLL An exception occurred while trying to run “netshell dll,StartNCW””. Maybe the problem?

“If I understand correctly you can't just clone XP to use as a VM, you have to do a clean install because the real hardware on a real PC will be different than the virtual hardware in a VM.”

This why I’m building this XP System. I know linking this new XP System to the other cloned System’s Apps and Files on a different computer is going to be difficult. I also ordered a 500GB SSD for the laptop to preserve this data. But the laptop needs a new keyboard and cooling fan, so I’m hitting the preservation problem from two different directions.

I’m attaching several screen shots in hope of sorting this out.

9. ljsejones

ljsejones Thread Starter

The problem was...There was no problem.

I was using the Activation link and the native XP Internet Explorer to connect to the Internet. It turns out Microsoft has a Denial Of Service going on both these links. These links are dead. My install seemed perfect, yet the problem persisted. I downloaded a XP compatible version of Opera on another machine to a flash drive, then installed Opera on my new XP Home install; Opera connect to the Internet instantly.

The whole problem was Human Error, Microsoft's; not mine!

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1226685

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice