1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I know this is very subjective

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pfiltz, Aug 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pfiltz

pfiltz Thread Starter

I bought a system from Tiger Direct last December. Runs OK. The machine is a 3.x Ghz system, celleron chip

I ordered it with an IDE drive. I bought a SATA drive this week to install it in the box from Tiger Direct, for this system, and low and behold the freak'n MB doesn't have any SATA connectors for it. I guess since I ordered an IDE system. DUH,,,, NO expandability ?

SystemMax is the Mfg of the box.

Geeeezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

OK, now to my question.

I would like to buy a MB and Processor to replace the one I have in the box. Fairly short looking MB, as I suspect most are now a dayz.

I'm running CS2 and want something with some Ommmmpffff to it. Can anyone recommend a supplier for a MB, Processor? I'd like to use the RAM from this box instead of buying new RAM.

Regards,

2. seekermeister

seekermeister

I will leave the recommendations to others, but I was wondering if you had considered installing a SATA controller card...it would be cheaper.

3. pfiltz

pfiltz Thread Starter

No, I didn't get that far yet. I'm still pretty much steamed that some mfg would probably save .20 buy not throwing a SATA connector on the MB. Geeeezzzzzz

Thanks for your input though.

4. accat13

accat13

Well be careful If I were you and I was going to get a sata controller make sure its sata 2 ...If your new drive is only sata 1 maybe they will let you return it and upgrade it to a sata 2...After reading up on this abit more unless you have a PCI Express 1x slot it may not be worth your while...Interesting read about bus speeds http://www.directron.com/expressguide.html

5. pfiltz

pfiltz Thread Starter

I'm not too sure if the Drive is SATA2. Here is the info on it.

Western Digital WD360
    S/N: WMAKH1251403

I may go to WD's website and see what I can find on it. I bought a SATA2 Adaptec card last night at Best Buy but haven't opened it yet.

6. win2kpro

win2kpro

I believe before anyone can help you, you need to identify the motherboard. Go to
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html and download and install EVEREST. EVEREST will give you most all the system information.

If you are considering major modifications, you should make a list of the modifications you want and what the cost will be. In the end it MAY be better and more economical to sell the existing machine and just build a new machine with the items you want.

7. pfiltz

pfiltz Thread Starter

Wink...Sure, I would just rather buy a new MB and Processor, and RAM, and throw it into this case, if at all possible. I just went to WD's website, and I think my new SATA is not SATA2. The Adaptec SATA card is SATA2 though.

Here is the everest data

Motherboard:
    CPU Type Intel Celeron D 345, 3066 MHz (23 x 133)
    Motherboard Name VIARAMA U8568 (Pro)/U8668 (Pro)/U8868
    Motherboard Chipset VIA VT8751(A) ProSavageDDR P4M266(A)
    System Memory 1504 MB (DDR SDRAM)
    BIOS Type Award (12/28/04)
    Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
    Communication Port ECP Printer Port (LPT1)

Display:
    Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 4000 (128 MB)
    3D Accelerator nVIDIA GeForce4 MX 4000
    3D Accelerator S3 ProSavageDDR
    Monitor Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 91TXM (TFW9105) [21" CRT] (712703009768)

Multimedia:
    Audio Adapter VIA AC'97 Enhanced Audio Controller

Storage:
    IDE Controller VIA Bus Master IDE Controller
    Floppy Drive Floppy disk drive
    Disk Drive WDC WD800BB-22JHC0 (74 GB, IDE)
    Disk Drive WDC WD3000JB-00KFA0 (127 GB, IDE)
    Optical Drive LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-1693S (DVD+R9:4x, DVD-R9:4x, DVD+RW:16x/8x, DVD-RW:16x/6x, DVD-ROM:16x, CD:48x/24x/48x DVD+RW/DVD-RW)
    SMART Hard Disks Status OK

8. seekermeister

seekermeister

I believe that all WDC harddrives have 2 letter suffixes to their model numbers. The only thing that I saw was a WD360GD, which if that is yours, it is a 36GB Raptor. I have never had one, but it is the highest performance EIDE drive on the market. However, it would not work on a SATA connection.

9. pfiltz

pfiltz Thread Starter

10. Rich-M

Rich-M

This is correct but it is a sata 10,000 Rpm drive and that is sata 1 not an eide drive. Not to worry as that drive is faster than any sata 2 drive made anyway, buy the controller card you will like what you see. A sata 2 card will work backwards with sata drive.

11. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

The 36gig Raptor is not a SATA-II drive.

I'm curious as to why your so upset with Tiger, since you got exactly what you purchased. :confused: If you wanted a SATA capable system, you should have purchased one.

12. seekermeister

seekermeister

Oops! I was wrong. The Raptor is a SATA,

13. win2kpro

win2kpro

The point I was trying to make is this;

New motherboard ? Price
    New processor ? Price
    New memory (if needed) ? Price
    New SATA drive ? Price
    SATA controller ? Price

If you make additional modifications will your power supply be sufficient for the installed hardware?

Since you intend to change the motherboard you probably will have to purchase a new operating system.

All I'm saying is to check all your desired modifications before starting so that you have a good idea as to what the actual completed price will be.

14. pfiltz

pfiltz Thread Starter

Thanks Win2K.... Understood

John, Yes, I did order a System with a "ide" drive. What I didn't know, shame, shame, shame on me, is that I can't expand on it without controller cards, and running through hoops.

You would think, or I did at the time, that a MB bought in 2005 [Dec], would have had a SATA connector on it.

Oh, then I give them the S/N, and knowing I want to buy a Sata for THAT MB, and they don't bother to even tell me that it doesn't have a SATA connector. Why bother with the Freak'n S/N then.?

Rich: I made sure I was going to get a 10K or 15K drive anyway ;) Just wasn't sure about using it on a controller for SATA2. I just don't want to plug it in, use that controller card, and lose performance since it's not a SATAII drive..

Thanks for everyone's input .

Live and Learn.

15. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I doubt the order processors at Tiger know a SATA drive from a June Bug. :D

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/489642

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice