1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I know this is very subjective

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pfiltz, Aug 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It is a promise tx4300 raid card.
    I just leave the cluster size at default. I guess you might get slightly better performance if you tailored the cluster size to the size of the array, however I never bother.

One thing I will say is that I really do not like the promise bios; I find it somewhat user unfriendly. I suppose that you only use it once in a great while so no big deal.
    Of all of the raid cards I have used / installed, I like the highpoint bios the best; very easy to use. The promise card seems to have better performance; just a poor bios.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You know someday I should pull the tx4300 out and try the intel onboard controller. It is just sitting there unused and probably somewhat lonely :D :D
    Then I could compare the intel controller with the promise one.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, while I have a couple percent more CPU usage, my on-board ULi RAID controller did manage a 10% better performance than Triple6.

FWIW, this Asus A8R32-MVP Deluxe board has a two SATA RAID controllers, as well as an external SATA port. You can configure either or both as standard SATA channels, and they are 3.0 gigabit SATA interfaces. Not all that terrible for on-board SATA and RAID...

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Its odd because I thought the NForce4 controller was suppose to be faster then the ULI controller.

5. pfiltz

pfiltz Thread Starter

Update:

I have the new 10K drive in place with Win2K prof loaded on it. Of course the drive is hanging off the Adaptec Card, but anyhooo, it seems a bit quicker, especially since I have a new video card running to. Now just loading up the apps.

I have no way of benchmarking the drive, nor do I wish to ;) I'm behind as it is.

Thanks for all the input.

6. seekermeister

seekermeister

One lesson that I'm still learning is when it comes to computers, never assume anything. The biggest step in building a computer is the planning of it.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/489642

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice