I loaded XP (not an update) and this is what happened:

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

cstortion

1. The text size on some of my web pages has decreased and does not respond to a change in text size under the "view-change text size" option. In some cases, when there is a menu on the web page, that menu will be at a much reduced size than the rest of the text on that page.

2. Many of the web pages that contain games show the games in a much reduced size than they appeared before I switched to xp.

3. The address spaces and search boxes in my browsers have been reduced in size. (I contacted SBC DSL and they had no solution for me. They referred me to Microsoft but I trust you folks more than them.)

4. I have no icon for my desktop any longer.

5. The size of the boxes in which I type my email, and in which I type this thread, have been reduced. On this site, all of the icons that appear on top of the message box are also much smaller. So, too, are the sign-in boxes and menus on many of the web sites that I use. (The spell check box on this site is also not full size.)

5. I use Ad Aware SE and Registry Fix. The boxes (?) containing all the functions for each of those utilities has been substantially reduced.

6. I keep getting a warning notice when I attempt to log on to IE or SBC DSL that neither are in my trusted sites when in fact they are.

7. I get boxes containg an X when I should be seeing a picture.

Since I am not very conversant in computer language, I have done the best I can to describe what has occurred. I would appreciate any help that you can provide. Thanks.

right click on the toolbar at the bottom of the desktop, make sure lock the toolbars is not ticked. right click in the toolbar again, go to toolbars & tick Quick launch,Your show desktop icon etc will now be displayed, right click on the toolbar again, now tick lock toolbars.

Right click anywhere on the desktop. click properties, choose the settings tab, now drop the screen area down until all icons/text, etc are the size you want.
This should be 1 - 5 sorted

6. I keep getting a warning notice when I attempt to log on to IE or SBC DSL that neither are in my trusted sites when in fact they are.

Is this a Windows warning or a different program? Do you get the option to add them to your trusted sites?

7. I get boxes containg an X when I should be seeing a picture

Open Internet Explorer, click Tools, Internet Options, Advanced. Scroll down
to Multimedia and see if "Show Pictures" is ticked, if not, tick it.

cstortion

1_rob_1 said:
right click on the toolbar at the bottom of the desktop, make sure lock the toolbars is not ticked. right click in the toolbar again, go to toolbars & tick Quick launch,Your show desktop icon etc will now be displayed, right click on the toolbar again, now tick lock toolbars.
That worked just like you said it would. Thanks.

cstortion

1_rob_1 said:
Right click anywhere on the desktop. click properties, choose the settings tab, now drop the screen area down until all icons/text, etc are the size you want.
This should be 1 - 5 sorted
What do you mean by "drop the screen down"? When I hit the settings tab the window that opened had a slide for screen resolution, a tab for color resolution and two boxes. One box was labeled "troubleshoot" and the other was labeled "advanced". I don't know what to do here. Help, please.

cstortion

1_rob_1 said:

Is this a Windows warning or a different program? Do you get the option to add them to your trusted sites?
I believe it is a Windows warning. There is a box to add to my trusted sites but when I do nothing changes. Suggestions?

Try this for the icons: Right click desktop and select properties. On the Desktop tab> hit Customize Desktop button. General tab place a check by the icons you want on the desktop and, if you want, uncheck Run Desktop Cleanup Wizard every 60 days.
On the Settings tab: select Advanced button. General tab, the DPI setting: should be set at Normal size (96DPI).
On Appearance tab, the Font size: should be set at Normal on the dropdown.

cstortion said:
What do you mean by "drop the screen down"? When I hit the settings tab the window that opened had a slide for screen resolution, a tab for color resolution and two boxes. One box was labeled "troubleshoot" and the other was labeled "advanced". I don't know what to do here. Help, please.

Slide the screen resolution down

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online