Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

I lose connection to some devices on my switch connected to my router.

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  JohnWill 
#1 ·
-Here is my setup so far. I have a vista machine with 2 lan cards, one from motherboard, one on pci. The lan from motherboard is connected to the WAN port on my router. I have alltel wireless internet that uses ICS through that. The lan card on my pci bus is connected to a LAN port on the same router. When i am not using ics i disable the lan on my motherboard and vice versa. I am using the second LAN on my pci bus that is connected to one of the LAN ports on my router so my computer can use MCE and DIRECTV2PC. I have another line connected to a LAN port on the same router going to a switch which is connected to my 360 and my directv receiver.
-Here is the problem. Say im using DIRECTV2PC and the xbox gets turned on, what happens is i lose connection to my directv and my computer only sees the xbox and vice versa. I am confused on why that is, it should see both at the same time and not lose connection to any one of them right?

#2 ·
whoa man never heard of that kind of set up before. try connecting your internet to the WAN port on the router and connecting the rest of your stuff to the inputs on the router. its a little less complicated this way.
sounds like your computer is controlling your internet and getting confused... hope this info is usefull.

#3 ·
Connecting two (or more) SOHO broadband routers together.

Note: The "primary" router can be an actual router, a software gateway like Microsoft Internet Connection Sharing, or a server connection that has the capability to supply more than one IP address using DHCP server capability. No changes are made to the primary "router" configuration.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router(s) to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address, 192.168.0.253 for another router, etc.

Note: Do this first, as you will have to reboot the computer to connect to the router again for the remaining changes.

Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router, channels, encryption, etc.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. Leave the WAN port unconnected!

This procedure bypasses the routing function (NAT layer) and configures the router as a switch (or wireless access point for wireless routers).

For reference, here's a link to a Typical example config using a Netgear router

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.