1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I lost 10 GBs of space today...

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Mr. Sparkle, Jul 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mr. Sparkle

Mr. Sparkle Thread Starter

Hello everyone. I've been having some issues with my notebook computer that I tried fixing using System Restore. I ran that three times today, finally restoring my computer to yesterday's settings. I am running Windows XP and a hard drive that had almost 15 gb (out of 80GB total HD capacity) of space left yesterday. After the third time running system restore, I was down to 4.33 GB left. What happened? I checked my system restore settings and I have had it set up so that the restore points use up 6% of the hard drive. I have restore points going back to June 2006. I could delete some of these, but I don't know if they would help me get all my 10 GBs back.

I've been running the Disk Cleanup utility, it is compressing old files now, but it has been running for the past...three hours almost and so far it has only upped my remaining HD space to 5.67 GB (after it had been 4.33 GB). Click here to see the window I've had for the past hour and a half. The bar hasn't moved beyond those three little points. At this rate, itll take hours for the Disk Cleanup utility to finish, unless of course it has frozen. I think this is my first time running Disk Cleanup.

So to summarize, why did I lose 10GB after running System Restore three times today? And, is Disk Cleanup supposed to take this long?

Much help would be greatly appreciated, as this has been a frustrating situation.

2. Mr. Sparkle

UPDATE: I cancelled the compression of files. I reopened Disk Cleanup and had it do everything else on the list besides the compression of old files. Then I opened the System Restore settings and reduced the space for System Restore points to 5% from 6%. My remaining hard drive space is now 8.41 GB. Still not 14GB~15GB, but it's a helluva lot better than 4.33GB. I'm weary of reducing it more as I may need those restore points for the other issue which I don't feel like going into.

I still want to know WHY my hard drive space decreased so much to begin with and how I can fix this (besides going through My Documents and deleting stuff from there).

Also, when I purchased this notebook in April 2006, I had 65GB of space left (out of the 80GB capacity). My Documents NOW take up 40GB (a lot of mp3s and mpegs). I have this stuff backed up. But after all this and allowing for programs I have installed...it makes sense that I should have at least 15 gb of space left....if not 20 GB.

3. The Hound

The Hound

Welcome to TSG...

Download TreeSize here... might give you some answers about just what's in the space...

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Have you rebooted and defragmented since the restore?

You might also empty your temp files manually since DC only removes older files in order the prevent deletion of files that may still be needed. Many temp files were probably created by the restoration.

If you are satisfied with this restoration, remove all the other restore points keeping just the last one.

PS. Never compress old files. It can lock you up and the space saved is minimal, besides which the files need to be uncompressed before being used and recompressed afterward, slowing your machine.

5. Mr. Sparkle

Thanks for the welcome, The Hound. I shall try TreeSize soon.

Elvandil, I've rebooted a couple times since the last restore and it still shows my HD as having 8.46 GB of space left. When I was on Safe Mode it showed 9.46 GB of space left. I'll try defragging, though not sure if that'll do anything...

Last night, I was looking through the Properties of the main folders in the C drive and how much space they each take up (Documents and Settings, Program Files, WINDOWS, 1386, etc). I wasn't deleting or moving anything, don't worry. Anyway, they all take up 56.3GB total. Which....is odd considering when I look at the C Drive properties, I get 80GB capacity with 70.6GBs being taken up. Something does not add up here... A lot of hidden files and folders not being counted?

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

Defragging will return some space (since partially-filled sectors are considered "used" and reduce the amount of available space), but defragging is not likely to restore very much space.

Did you check your temp folder? (Start > Run:

temp <Enter>)

7. Mr. Sparkle

Yes, but it is only taking up 236 kb.

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

Do you have hidden files unhidden? Have you removed all but the last restore point?

9. Mr. Sparkle

I have hidden files unhidden. I have not removed all but the last restore point because I feel I might still need some of those restore points. But my oldest restore point goes back to November rather than June 06.

I ran the TreeSize application and it shows my total C drive space as being 60 GB. Whereas when I look at the C drive properties through the My Computer folder, it shows it as having 80GB total space with about 70GBs being taken up. That is really peculiar... Unless TreeSize is just looking at total space being taken up and not C drive capacity...which still takes us back to the fact that two numbers do not add up and there is a difference of 10 GBs.

Also, I'll admit that my Documents and Settings folder hogs the most space at about 42 GBs, but this is the same space it was taking up on Thursday when I still had 15 Gbs of space left on my hard drive.

There was folder called System Volume Information that TreeSize was denied access to...

I will try defragging now.

10. Mr. Sparkle

Yikes. Check out the message I just got. Looks like I will have to temporarily(?) delete some of the files from My Documents (I have 'em backed up anyway)...

[​IMG]

11. Elvandil

Elvandil

It would help, and speed up the process, if you moved some large files temporarily.

But you can still defrag (from the command line, too---defrag.exe).

12. Mr. Sparkle

I just finished defragging. I actually did delete some files so I could defrag. It didn't free up any more space. But at least my C drive is defragmented now. :p

13. Soundy

Soundy

A couple other things that may help gain you a little space...

When Windows is installed, Internet Options by default sets your Temporary Internet Files to (I believe) 5% of the free drive space... on an 80GB drive, that will come to probably around 3-4GB (3000-4000MB). You really don't need more than maybe 5MB, and I never set to more than 1MB. Try reducing that, then hit the "Delete" option and tell it to delete offline files as well, to clear up the cache.

Another thing, if you're using the Recycle Bin, sometimes deleted files don't get properly deleted when you empty it. Check the folder C:\Recycler (it's a hidden system folder, so you'll need to change the view options appropriately) for stragglers after you empty the Recycle Bin. I've seen several GIGS of stuff left behind in a supposedly empty Recycle Bin.

14. MFDnNC

MFDnNC

DownLoad EasyCleaner http://www.majorgeeks.com/download414.html

Use the clear files and Unnecessary files buttons – I do not recommend
    using the Duplicates files button
    as many dupes are there on purpose.

Not all files will delete – that is normal.

In the unnecessary button I check the top 4 entries

15. Elvandil

Elvandil

FYI: "System Volume Information" contains all your restore points. It can be quite large.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!