1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I lost my USB catagory

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Linda Fincher, Jan 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Linda Fincher

Linda Fincher Thread Starter

I recently bought a Pentax EI100 digital camera. I had to upgrade my Packard Bell Platinum Supreme 1850 computer to windows 98. No problem. After I downloaded the software for the camera, a window pops up saying it can't find my USB port because it's been moved or deleted. How do I find or replace the USB connection? Thanks.

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi Linda Fincher, welcome to TSG....seems to be a USB kinda day :)

Do you know how to access your bios setup to be sure the USB support shows up as ENABLED there?

Also, in control panel, system, device manager, any exclamation marks?

While you're at it, you may as well post your IRQs....start button, run, then type msinfo32 and press ok....go to hardware, IRQs, edit, select all, edit, copy and come back and paste.

3. Linda Fincher

I'm not sure if this is what you asked for but I found an ! under unknown device in device manager. Since I am just learning about computers, I don't know how to cut and paste the IRQs.0 System timer
    1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
    2 Programmable interrupt controller
    3 Communications Port (COM2)
    4 Creative Modem Blaster V.90 DI5660
    5 (free)
    6 Standard Floppy Disk Controller
    7 Printer Port (LPT1)
    8 System CMOS/real time clock
    9 (free)
    10 Creative Ensoniq AudioPCI
    10 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
    11 S3 Inc. Trio64V+
    11 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
    12 PS/2 Compatible Mouse Port
    13 Numeric data processor
    14 Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
    14 Intel 82371SB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller
    15 Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo)
    15 Intel 82371SB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller
    Hope this is right. Thanks.

4. TechChick

TechChick

Have the USB ports ever worked? What happens when you connect the camera to the computer? Do you have any other USB devices?

5. Linda Fincher

Yes the Usb port worked brfore. My son downloaded his digital camera just fine several months ago. Nothing happens when I plug in the camera.

6. Linda Fincher

Yes the Usb port worked brfore. My son downloaded his digital camera just fine several months ago. Nothing happens when I plug in the camera. No other ports or devices.

7. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Well, if that is a correct listing of your IRQs, you don't have the USB installed. You are sure it is ENABLED in the bios setup?

If so, do you have the cd that came with the computer? It appears that you are going to have to reinstall either the motherboard drivers and/or the USB drivers.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66107

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice