1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I lost my user settings when trying to install a 2nd HD

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Willrsaf, Feb 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Willrsaf

Willrsaf Thread Starter

I tried to hook up a HD from Win 98 machine. That drive did not have clearly marked jumpers, none was marked 'SL' or 'slave.' Noting that my primary drive was set to 'CS' I set the old one to 'CAP.' My other choices were 'MS, 'CS,' 'TXD' and [blank]. So I guessed. (wrong as it turned out.) Win 2000 pro said it detected new hardware and said it would need to reboot to change the settings. Unfortunately I let it.

Now, my PC boots up win 2000 successfully until it gets to a screen that reports: ' Loading your personal settings.' Then an error message box comes up that has the header 'User Environment' and the the message 'Windows cannot load the user's profile but has logged you on with the defalut profile for this system. DETAIL - Incorrect function' . This screen has a countdown for thirty seconds, then it loads my chosen desktop background (but no icons or taskbar!) and then displays another error screen.

The second error screen has the header 'Limited Virtual Memory.' The message 'Your system has no paging file, or the paging file is too small.' Is followed by directions to 1. right-click my computer, click Properties, and then click the Advanced tab. 2. Click on the Performance Opions button and then click on the Change button. Under Drive [Volume Lable], select the drive you want. 3. To create a new paging file.... et cetera.

I can't follow the directions given because there are no icons, so no icon for 'My Computer' for me to click. I can't use the taskbar becasue there is no taskbar. The mouse works, but no keyboard shortcuts, including ctl-alt-del work. No actually ALt-F4 works to close the open error screen. After a few minutes, the blue screen and logon process starts again with the same 'user environment' error box.

I'm looping there, what do I do?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/542217

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice