I Mac early 2008 sticks on boot after El Capitan upgrade.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

philln10

Hello everyone.

I recently cloned my g/f's HDD to a Samsung EVO 850 SSD.
After carefully following the OWC instructional video, I transplanted it into her 20" I Mac (early 2008)
Now, on startup, I get the grey Apple screen but it just hangs part way through. I should add that it will boot in safe mode but I need safe mode every time to start it. I have already tried re-building the directory using DiskWarrior and also fully re-installing El Cap. Additionally, there are no audio devices listed and the machine will not play sound. Does anyone have any ideas, please?

Very best wishes,

Nick.

The best thing install Mountain lion on your iMac that will work perfect on your iMac

philln10

The best thing install Mountain lion on your iMac that will work perfect on your iMac
Many thanks. I will try it. Although I will need to get an install disc because if you try and run the installer from El Cap it simply tells you that ML cannot be installed from El Cap.

you can download mountain line and write it to on USB bootable and install it.

philln10

you can download mountain line and write it to on USB bootable and install it.
Thanks but easier said than done. El Cap refuses to install it in target disc mode and using the I Mac itself, without having a bootable ML CD, you can't get to the "boot options" screen therefore you are unable to see any options which may include USB media.

Hello everyone.

I recently cloned my g/f's HDD to a Samsung EVO 850 SSD.
After carefully following the OWC instructional video, I transplanted it into her 20" I Mac (early 2008)
Now, on startup, I get the grey Apple screen but it just hangs part way through. I should add that it will boot in safe mode but I need safe mode every time to start it. I have already tried re-building the directory using DiskWarrior and also fully re-installing El Cap. Additionally, there are no audio devices listed and the machine will not play sound. Does anyone have any ideas, please?

Very best wishes,

Nick.
There are many places and people who say that most times a apple computer won't use a HDD for windows under any circumstance. They say to make sure you buy a apple HDD.

philln10

There are many places and people who say that most times a apple computer won't use a HDD for windows under any circumstance. They say to make sure you buy a apple HDD.
In my experience, while Apple will usually try and punish you for straying from their garden of loveliness, that is not the case with Apple HDDs. I have personally transplanted four or five Samsung sourced SSDs into Macbook Pro or Mac Mini and had no problems subsequently. The fact that Apple has built trim support for third party drives into El Cap, surely signals their willingness to accept other companies products in their machines.

Then it probably is just the drive or the way you are trying to install it. My macbook did not let me either. I have the same one as you. I called apple and they did not give me a refund.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts