1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I may have been hijacked

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by scruffydog, Jan 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. scruffydog

scruffydog Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 30 Stepping 5
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 3579 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS, 512 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 953766 MB, Free - 545345 MB;
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd., P55A-UD3
    Antivirus: PC Cleaner Pro, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Disabled

My computer has been running very slow on the internet. Off-line it works fine. My ISP says there are large uploads happening when I am on-line and I am not uploading or sending anything. I ran updated AVG2013 and Malwarebytes, Spybot, and CCleaner without finding a problem. I opened Windows Task Manager and explored what it had to offer. I do not have very advanced computer skills, I discovered what I thought was unusually high activity on Real Networks. I went to Control Panel - Programs and Features to wipe Real Networks but could not find related to 'Real' listed and the same result at CCleaner - Tools. I thought this was strange and proceeded to Windows Explorer and removed every file I could find in Program Files that related to 'Real' until I got to the last one which was "realsched.exe". I could not remove this one because it said "Action can not be completed because the file is open in RealNetworks Scheduler". I found 'Task Scheduler Library' and in it were about 1/2 dozen references to Real Networks which I removed as well. The computer is still very slow when on-line. What can I do? Is it a software problem or a sneaky virus?

2. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
    How many Anti-Virus programs do you have on your computer? Your TSG System Info shows you having PC Cleaner Pro and you mentioned using AVG2013. Having more than one Anti-Virus program on your computer at the same time can cause all kinds of problems. Also, have you been using the Registry Cleaner functions of CCleaner and PC Cleaner? If so, this could be another major problem. Please look over these links about Cleaners.

http://library.techguy.org/wiki/Registry_Cleaners

http://miekiemoes.blogspot.co.uk/2008/02/registry-cleaners-and-system-tweaking_13.html

3. scruffydog

Thanks Captain. I may have used PC Cleaner Pro at some time as a trial but I had to purchase it in order to get it to clean up the vast amount of problems it supposedly found. I didn't purchase because I didn't believe I needed it. I would then have uninstalled it and that was quite some time ago. I can find no trace of it on my computer. I did find this on-line when I Googled PC Cleaner Pro. http://au.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20130108132632AAim5fG
    I usually run Registery when I run CCleaner. I have been doing that for ages without a problem. This present situation has only been evident for the past three days and I can't think of any suspect sites I might have visited. Thanks for your help. Are you a pilot? I used to hold a commercial licence when I lived in Canada.
    Regards from the Gold Coast, Australia
    Bob

4. scruffydog

Thanks for those links Captainron. I won't be such a clean freak from now on. When I downloaded AVG2013 it offered me a PC Analyzer on trial to speed up my computer and Yes, I went for it. When the trial was over I didn't purchase it and after that I had a whole host of problems. It took lot of time and effort, but I did manage to clean up the mess. You would think a guy would learn from that. Every once in a while I still get messages from AVG saying that my computer is faster then it was before and trying to get me on the hook again. The only thing I can think of that I did recently, that may be significant, is that just before this problem I got a bit zealous with Defraggler. Thinking zero fragments is better then 0% fragmentation, when there are still fragmented files visible was the way to go. I got down to 'no fragmented files' after numerous defrags together with my discovery under Settings - Advanced -Defrag Free Space. Stupid old guy who knows little, but thinks he is advanced because he has owned a computer for 15 years, Bob

5. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
    You did not mention how many Anti-Virus programs are now on your computer? PC Pro is one to get rid of and keep AVG if your happy with it. As far as all the Defragging your doing, I would set Windows defrag to check once a month and let it go. Windows7 does a fine job taking care of this and you and I would have a hard time seeing the improvement after a defrag. It's good to perform a Check disk periodically. I do one once a month.

http://www.w7forums.com/use-chkdsk-check-disk-t448.html

6. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
    Many members here recommend Microsoft Security Essentials or Avast. http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5201 or http://www.avast.com/en-us/index both are free. ONLY USE ONE Anti-Virus program, having more than one will cause problems!

In conjunction with either of them use both of the following and run them at least once a week.
    Malwarebytes
    http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam-download.php
    Superantispyware
    http://www.superantispyware.com/down...NTISPYWAREFREE

Make sure to update their definition files during the install process.
    Make sure to uncheck and decline to install any extras, such as toolbars and homepages, they may offer.
    Make sure to uncheck or decline to use the "Pro" or "Trial" version, if it's offered.
    After they're installed and updated, restart the computer.
    Run a quick scan with each one.
    After each quick scan is finished, select and remove EVERYTHING that was found.

7. scruffydog

Hi Captainron276: I did send you a message saying that as far as I knew I didn't have PC Cleaner Pro. I searched everywhere and can't find it. I seem to recall it having been offered to me, as "a fix all your computer problems" gift, sometime many months ago and like the idiot I now know I am, I went for it, even though I wasn't having any problems. It found many so-called problems but I would have to purchase it in order to clean everything up and this I did not do. I would have uninstalled it at that time. Could it still be hiding on my computer? I came across a similar problem someone else encountered with this PC Cleaner Pro when I searched for this on Google. Is this a procedure I should follow? I will first of all look at all of the links you have kindly provided and follow your instructions. Thanks very much
    Bob aka Scruffydog

8. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
  9. scruffydog

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 30 Stepping 5
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 3579 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS, 512 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 953766 MB, Free - 545120 MB;
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd., P55A-UD3
    Antivirus: PC Cleaner Pro, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Disabled

10. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
    Bob,
    PC Cleaner Pro is still showing up as your Antivirus program. Click on Start,Control Panel then uninstall a program and see if it's listed. If it is, click it and uninstall. I am going to check with one of the Tech's to take a look here and see if they can help you out further.

Bob, I am rated ATP and have over 14,000 accident free hours. I flew mostly for Corporations my last 20 years of my 37 years of flying. Retired/disabled now and wish I could still fly.

11. scruffydog

Hi Ron: I have already done that. There is no sign of PC Cleaner Pro on my computer except what shows up in the TSG System Info tool. Nothing in Control Panel - Programs and Features, nothing in CCleaner - Tools and nothing when I type PC Cleaner Pro into the 'Search programs and files' box in the Windows Start . I notice the TSG doesn't list AVG2013 which I do have and which I just updated again and ran. It found no viruses. I have searched everywhere and every way I can think of and can not find it. What time is it in Chattanooga? We could converse in another forum here if I am correct?

12. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
    Hey Bob, well, I'm at a loss as to why that is still showing up. I have a call in for a Tech to take a look here and hopefully give you some help.

It's 0035 hours here and time for shut eye. Good luck:) and good night.

13. scruffydog

Good Morning Ron: I can't believe I just did that! It is 22:30 and for you I think 07:30 I just spent about 30 minutes typing a message and I was about to send it when I switched to another site to check the temperature so I could pass that on. In the process of doing I lost the message I had labored over and have to send it again. Oh well, I won't be able to sleep anyway because the temp is 27.8 Celsius. You may have heard about the present heat wave all over Australia and the bush fires and temperatures in the 40's. Birdsville broke a record today at 48.9 Celsius. Glad I'm on the coast. I have followed your instructions for the most part. I ran Check disc a couple of days ago and it took forever but came up with everything OK. Like I said before I have searched every possible way I can think of, but I can find no trace of PC Cleaner Pro and I do have AVG2013 because I just updated it and ran a full scan, with nothing found. I won't download Avast because I have AVG and I can't have two antivirus programs at the same time. See... I am learning. If AVG proves to be a problem I will uninstall it and load Avast. I regularly run the latest update Malwarebytes (Last done yesterday and today). I also use Spybot Search & Destroy and it only came up with the usual cookies. In searching the net I discovered that others have had problems with PC Cleaner and yet can not find it on their computer. I sent the link to you in message #7 but it doesn't seem to have made it through with the message. I assume you are looking at the same page I am. As I was reviewing our message exchange I just found that the link is in message #3. If don't see it, I will try sending it again here. http://au.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20130108132632AAim5fG Do you think I should try these instructions?

14. scruffydog

Hi again Ron: I also downloaded Superantispyware as you recommended and it came up with the usual cookies in temporary files but then it got interesting. It found and quarantined a thing called Pup.bProtector This one seems a bit more ominous. Yet with it in quarantine my online speed does not seem to have improved. I will have to wait until Monday to contact my ISP to see if there is still mega uploading going on even when I am not sending or uploading anything. Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it. If you are talking to your Tech guy can you ask him this? You have my computer details and I am using a Netgear router, a Linksys VOIP box, a pair of speakers, a 24 inch LCD monitor, and Brother MFC- 250C printer, and a Hitachi Lifestudio 1Tb external hard drive. The printer is not always being used of course, and neither is the external Hard-drive except when I plug in the USB and carry out a backup. They are all plugged into a Belkin Surge Protector which has a limit of 2400 watts maximum. The question is "Am I safely under the 2400 watt limit?" This was an expensive power board but I believe it was worth it, because as long as I am not connecting equipment that would exceed the 2400 Watt limit, I have a Lifetime Warranty and $150,000 Connected Equipment Warranty. It says "it protects even against a lightning strike." It further says "there is no limit to the number of times Belkin will replace the expired surge protector. You only need to purchase the product once." I have gone through several lesser power boards in the past few years so this sounds wise to me. Got to get to bed or I won't make it to church in the morning.
    Bob

15. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
    Bob,
    I looked over that link before, just forgot to tell you about it. I would not do anything until you hear from one of the Tech's as I'm not familiar or qualified to give out info on that program. Also, your Surge protector sounds quite capable of handling your needs.
    Since you now have SuperAntiSpyware I would get rid of Spybot Search & Destroy as it is not the program it use to be. Having SAS and Malwarebytes along with our AVG is all you need.
    Try and stay cool down under:)

Capt

One of our trusted Advisers Flavallee

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1084669

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice