Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

I messed up my BIOS!

Tags
bios
2K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  DrDerpMaster 
#1 ·
I was updating my drivers using MSI's Live Update 6. I accidentally downloaded a bios that I didn't want to download. Now when I load my computer the monitor doesn't show anything.

I'm using a MSI H81M-P33 motherboard. Any other info can be asked if needed.

Whats my problem? What are possible solutions? Whats the easiest solution?

#2 ·
Have you tried to clear cmos? If not, that would be the first thing I would do. There is a bios recovery that can be attempted however clear cmos first.
BTW a bios should only be updated IF the update has a fix you need. In any case, I never update a bios from within windows. I use either a boot disk or most modern systems have a bios utility that is part of the bios.

#4 ·
Read your mb manual. It should have info on clearing cmos.
Just an observation however if you are having problems just clearing cmos, it is unlikely you are going to be able to accomplish the bios recovery. That needs a higher level of skill than clearing cmos.

#6 ·
I don't have the jumpers to put on the motherboard where it is needed. Do you feel if I went to a computer repair shop they would beable to fix my computer? Or should I just buy jumpers or a new motherboard instead? (The motherboard is only 20$ ish so it wouldn't be that big of a dent in my wallet)

#8 ·
It looks like you may be able to "borrow" a jumper from something like JUSB_PW1 or 2, place it on JBAT1 to clear the BIOS, then replace the jumper where it was when you're done.

#11 · (Edited)
You can try to recover the bios. Do the following;
1 Download the correct bios file from the support page for that board. Be sure it is the correct one.
2 Extract the bios file and copy it to the root of a fat32 formatted flash drive. The file you download is probably in .zip format. You cannot just copy the file; you must extract the bios file from the .zip folder. Use something like 7zip, winrar, etc to extract the file.
3 System OFF, open the case and pull the pw connectors from ALL drives; both hd and optical
4 Insert the usb drive you copied the file to in a rear usb2 port. Do not use a front port
5 Pw ON the system and leave it for at least 10~15min
6 When done, pull the drive out and hit the reset switch. If you get a POST display, consider yourself lucky. If it does not work, then you need to install a new board. While you can sometimes replace a bios chip, that mb is a very low end board and it will cost about as much to replace the board as it would to replace the bios chip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.