I moved machines and the Network died

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

bxmag

I moved the machines that make up the network and since I have completed the move I have not been able to use the LAN part of the system. Both machines access the internet no problem. I have changed the names of both machines and changed the name of the work group just to be certain that the match.

Machine - 1
Windows Me

IP address - correct
Subnet - correct
Gateway - correct

this machine does not see itself on the network until I do a "computer search"

Machine - 2
Windows 98 First ed.

has the wrong adapter and addresses, the correct one is in there but how do I change it?

OOOOps ---> I am using a netgear rp114 router. Please Some one help me, I REALLY need to get these kids back on their machine!

Thanks
Danny

The only thing that should have changed is the physical cabling being disconnected and reconnected. I would check my cables and link lights on the cards. Open the case and check to see if the NIC became unseated in the move.

bxmag

OK I resolved the LAN problem to a point.

Now both machines can be searched and found, But I can't add any icons for the Me machine. I can access from 98 to Me thru icons, but I can't create icons for the Me machine on the Me machine in the network ---> error message " network name can not be found."

???????????

To change the adapter and address just go into the network settings and delete the adapter...will remove everything else but that's ok. Reboot and windoze should detect your NIC again...reload the drivers and once it is done go into network settings again and add Client for MS Networks, TCP/IP and file and printer sharing if you need it. Is your router a managed one that assigns ports a unique address dependant on the device connected to it? Same question if you have a managed type switch. And for the network name on the ME machine...is it that same name as the rest of the computers on the network?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online