1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I need a cheaper DSL service.

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by axeman61, Feb 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. axeman61

axeman61 Thread Starter

SBC just pulled some **** that had the DSL on the bill costing 55 bucks, when my mom had gotten a deal for one year of service for about 26 bucks months ago. I don't know what is happening, but I don't think the 55 dollars on the bill is a typo. If push comes to shove, I'll have to get a new DSL. Is it possible to use my current modem for another service? How much does cable cost now?

2. CouchMaster

CouchMaster

If this is a new account then it's possible that the $55 bucks is a one time setup fee. You can check this out at http://www.sbc.com

3. axeman61

axeman61 Thread Starter

In business terms, it is new, since we've been disconnected once since the deal started (don't know how). I called the hell out of those people setting the deal up though, and I specifically heard that it would be 26.99 for a year.

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

The only low-cost DSL services I've seen require at least a one-year contract for new subscribers only.

5. wtxcowboy

wtxcowboy

ck ur area, they're all diff prices. i pay $15/mo for 128/768 thru my local isp which has been bought out by the phone co... :) we're supposed to get cable high speed in the near future & it'll be $34.95/mo. think i'll keep what i have!

6. andyAA

andyAA

I got 5 months of PeoplePC for $34.95 and unlimited time.

7. jdl

jdl

Looks to me as if it may be TWO months on the bill. Did you pay last month?

8. GoJoAGoGo

GoJoAGoGo

First Name:
    Joe
    I was paying $49.95 per mo for SBC for over 2 yrs and was going to switch to cable. I called SBC to cancel my account, they ask me why I wanted to cancel and then offered me the same DSL service for $26.95 per mo for a year. I excepted their offer.

I had the same experience 3 yrs ago while I had MSN Dial-up. I was paying $22.95 per mo and wanted to cancel my account so I could get SBC DSL. They asked me why I wanted to cancel and then offered me the same Dial-up service for $8.95per mo indefinely. Of course I declined that offer so I could have a much faster DSL connection.

So it appears most ISP will offer you a lower rate if you call them up to cancel your account.

9. GoJoAGoGo

GoJoAGoGo

First Name:
    Joe
    I agree with this as SBC does have a strange billing system. Sometimes they will bill you for a 2 month period and sometimes they will just bill you for 1 month.

So look over your bill closely or better yet login to your SBC Account and check your billing service and that will show you a much clearer view of your monthly charges.
    http://login.yahoo.com/config/login?.partner=sbc&.done=http://sbc.yahoo.com/

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/326099

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice