1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I need a chipset driver. I think

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Brett5150, Dec 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Brett5150

Brett5150 Thread Starter

I reinstalled windows XP on my computer without backing up any of the drivers(didn't know I needed to until after). I now can't get on the internet. I borrowed a lap top from a buddy and downloaded the Chipset driver from Compaq but when I plug in the thumb drive its on, my computer says it is not a win32 supported file. I am using a copy of XP for a guy at work because my PC didn't come with a copy and the place I bought it from is out of business. I now need help finding a chipset driver that will work any help would be awesome thank you

2. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    You can try going to the compac website and look under support drivers and downloads for your model of computer provided you can get on the internet somehow. Then download all of them not just the chipset so you will have them in the future and then burn them to a cd. Then put the cd into your computer and install all of the ones you need.You might want to contact compac and see if there is restore/ recovery cds available for your computer so that you wont have to go through this again.

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Here is the support site for the Compaq Presario Media Center SR2030NX desktop.

Here are the original 2006 drivers for that desktop:

NVIDIA LAN Driver
    Version: 50.2.4.0
    Date: 08-18-2006

ASUS Modem
    Version: 7.39.0.0
    Date: 08-17-2006

HP Multimedia Keyboard/Mouse Drivers
    Version: 1.0.2.6

NVIDIA Chipset Drivers
    Version: 4.5.0.0

NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE Graphics Driver
    Version: 8.2.0.8

Realtek High Definition Audio Driver
    Version: 5.10.0.5282

Download and save them, then burn them off to a CD-R, then use the CD-R to install the necessary drivers.

The chipset drivers need to be installed first before any of the other drivers.

Make sure to restart the computer after installing each driver.

--------------------------------------------------------

By the way, you can purchase the recovery disc kit for that desktop from here for $27.00 plus shipping.

--------------------------------------------------------

4. Brett5150

Brett5150 Thread Starter

I tried to download the chipset from the Compaq site but when I tried to put it on my PC it said the file is not a win32 supported file. I also contacted Compaq and they told me the only thing I could do is get windows 7.

5. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Have you upgraded Windows XP to SP3?

If you haven't, here is the full 316 MB upgrade.

Download and save it, then burn it off to a CD-R, then use that media to install it in the problem computer.

Here is a much more current driver for the NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE for Windows XP.

Download and save it, then burn it off to a CD-R, then use that media to install it.

------------------------------------------------------

6. Brett5150

Brett5150 Thread Starter

I might just buy windows 7 it seems like the better idea. Does it matter if I get the 32bit or 64 i think my processor is a 64

7. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Before you decide to upgrade that 5-year old desktop from Windows XP to Windows 7(32-bit), you need to do 2 things:

Max out the supported amount of RAM to 2 GB.

Windows 7(32-bit) needs at least 2 GB of RAM to run properly.

That desktop came with 1 GB of DDR2 PC2-4200 RAM.

Look inside the case to see if it currently has a single 1 GB module or 2 - 512 MB modules.

----------------------------------------------------------

Confirm that Windows 7(32-bit) drivers exist for all the devices in that desktop.

Download and save and then burn them off to a CD-R or USB thumb driver or both.

---------------------------------------------------------

It's pointless to buy and install Windows 7(64-bit) unless a computer supports and has 4 GB or more of RAM.

---------------------------------------------------------

8. user22

user22 Banned

Try Driver Max to get your chipset driver and others.It is free you only need to register it.You get two free driver downloads per day.

9. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Do NOT use driver scanners any more than you should use registry cleaners. (n)

-------------------------------------------------------

10. user22

user22 Banned

Do NOT use driver scanners any more than you should use registry cleaners. (n)

This program finds only the correct signed drivers,why would you say that?????

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!