1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I need a great case - suggestions please?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by StumpedTechy, Mar 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy Thread Starter

I need something that will run QUIET. This will be out in the family room for all to hear and I want it ultra quiet and well constructed. Who has some suggestions?

2. replay

replay

3. win2kpro

win2kpro

I use a lot of these cases in my builds and never had any complaints about noise.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811129152

Excellent designed case. NO POWER SUPPLY. Comes standard with an Antec 120mm Tri-Cool rear fan and a forward fan cage (in front of the hard drive) for another 120mm fan. I generally put a Nexus 120mm fan in that position.

I just delivered a Core 2 Duo system setup with the cooling above. The machine is in their family room and they have no complaints regarding noise.

If you're going to keep the hardware cool, ya gotta have some fans.

You might want to check this site and see what they have to offer.
    http://www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/index.html

4. MeitHed

MeitHed

5. griffinspc

griffinspc

I have this case. It's the quietest case I've ever owned. It's expensive and a little tricky to build with due to the PSU enclosure but that's one of the reasons it's so quiet. It has a lot of nice features such as hard drive damping for vibration noise, removable for cleaning dust filters, the front door swings back 270 degrees, etc., and sturdy as they come.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129154

6. StumpedTechy

Well first suggestion is out - it only has 3 external bays and I need 4.

I have a 3 hard drive enclosure that takes up 2 5.25 slots then I have a DVD reader and a DVD burner. Alas I think I liked that suggestion the best.

Of these other 3 I don't see how they actually keep things quiet. Are they designed with special materials? Also I noted the 3 others don't have PSUs so I also have to ask for quiet PSU manufacturers as well.

A quiet case with a nosiy PSU won't help. :/

7. StumpedTechy

I am thinking something in the 19dba range area?

8. replay

replay

just curious why don't u put the hd's in the 4 hd bays in the antec sonata??? then u have the cd bays open!

9. StumpedTechy

I need them removeable -

Its kind of like this - http://www.rackmount.com/Rackacc/HDC-300.htm

Where I have them in this unit and i have about 8 drives total. Putting them internal I would have the PC open constantly.

The only other optiion is to turn my DVD player to USB or something but I REALLY would like to not do that if at all possible as I do alot of DVD player to DVD burner work as well.

10. Rich-M

Rich-M

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I agree the P180 is very quiet. It does go together like a watch however so leave some extra time for the build.

FWIW I just built a system for myself with this case and yes it is quiet. The hd are mounted in a removable cage with rubber mounts. In fact I cannot hear the hd spin up after it goes to sleep. The 120mm fans are almost silent on the low speed. On the middle speed you can hear them however it is much quieter than my old full tower case.

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

BTW fans on low are all you would ever need for an amd64 or core2. If you have a prescott, you might need to run the fans on the middle setting.

13. StumpedTechy

What PSU are you using with the P180 to keep it quiet? I noted it does not come with a PSU itself. I need a good 400w I am sure. I am currently running 450 but I think I bought overkill. The case its coming out of the PSU has to stay in as its a server racked box. Other hardware is going in its stead.

14. StumpedTechy

I'm running an athelon 64 x2 4400 (dual core) I have all my fans on low in the current case and its working fine.

15. griffinspc

griffinspc

I'm running a Thermaltake 500W PurePower with a bottom mounted fan that's housed in the bottom chamber. Sounds weird but works and I can't hear the PSU at all. Also of note I have a thing about setting my cases on carpet so I use a wood platform I built to set my machines on meaning I get no muffling from carpet so my noise factor may be higher than some set ups but this P180 is still near silent. Like stated above I run an Athlon 64 3800+ and only need the low fan setting. I also have a pretty noisy graphics card and if I hear anything it's that.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/551413

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice