1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I need a recommendation plz

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Sparkle Tom, May 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sparkle Tom

Sparkle Tom Thread Starter

Hi all ...

Does anyone rip their music CDs - whole albums, not song by song?

I need a ripper for this.

I'd love a recommendation - I've not had great luck with finding a great app (would like to stick with shareware too ... that's the tough part) - what do you use?

Rippers for singles seems easy ... and I've seen wrappers to bundle them, but this seems pointless unless indexing is desired for the singles and I'm not that picky.

The last one I tried seemed to crash often, a real annoyance with the time that gets invested with a 90% finished project. Rather than take another random chance on the next app - I knew the best advice in the world could be found here.

Thanks for any illuminating comments.

S*T

2. Shadow2531

Shadow2531

3. Sparkle Tom

Shadow, you have my thanks.

I have the thing installed and taking if for a spin now. I DLed and installed a fresh version of LAME and it appears to be ripping a CD w/o problems. I do wonder if I am going to get a lot of singles or if they get joined ... but, I'm still using the non-expert settings so there's some things to explore. Uncertainty is part of the fun.

Could I ask for further input here? What's the best choice for a LAME replacement? Should LAME be replaced? What's the deal with the laws?

Thanks again.

S*T

4. Shadow2531

Shadow2531

I use lame, with razorlame front end. I am still going to use it, so I don't think you should get rid of it.

What legal stuff are you referring to? It's not illegal to use lame.

I myself use eac to rip the cd, then close out eac, open razorlame and encode. I don't set eac to automate lame. That's just me of course.

I have an older version of Xing encoder that I use a lot. It encodes really fast.

There newer versions of nero have a lot of different codecs to encode with.

Nero can be a replacemnt itself.

Eac rips audio better though (if using the right settings)

but you should go to http://www.dailymp3.com/main.html

5. Sparkle Tom

Hi Shadow -

I really like EAC. I have yet to discover a setting to do the rip/encode as one big mp3 (as opposed to singles). I am probably overlooking something. Ideas?

I was curious about the legal issues because this app, like others, suggests looking into what encoders are legal for the country I'm in. I know of no restrictions in the US, but wouldn't be terribly surprised if there is some misguided efforts to control piracy with "don't touch that technology" type of legislation. I must admit that one sure way to gaurantee I'll use an encoder is to have record labels and senators saying I can't use it.;)

One wonderful thing about EAC, I've already noticed, very stable. No crashes even when I was spreading my resources very thin over many other processes. It seems to have great error handling which I believe was the shortcoming of other rippers. Thanks again.

S*T

6. Shadow2531

Shadow2531

ok my mistake. I think I see what you want.

You want a cd ripper that rips each audio track of a cd to a wav file, then combines all the wav files into one large wav file, then converts that large wav file into one large mp3, all in one shot.

I am not sure if there is a program that will do that.

You could use eac like you are doing, then find a wav combiner program, then use lame to encode.

You can accomplish the ripping and encoding with eac (using lame as an external program for eac), but combining the wav files into one big wav file before encoding to an mp3 will require a separate program.

Of course there may be a program that can do all that, i just don't personally know of one.

this program might do it. From reading the features it will rip all the audio tracks, convert them all to mp3s and then combine the mp3s into one big mp3. Not sure if you can set it up to do that in all one process, but you would at least only have to use one program.

http://www.share2.com/mp3workshop/

7. Sparkle Tom

Surprisingly, the first ripper I tried had the whole process automated - a little buggy, and constantly whined for money. Not a little cash, a lot. Thus began the quest for something better. Another thing about the other one - extremely sloppy removal - someone had to make a special reg sweeper to tidy up.

EAC is working well and it's no big deal on encoding a 2nd pass. I consider your recommendation a terrific success.

Anyone here know a thing or two about the encoder possibilites?? I'm content with Lame, I'm just curious what the fuss is about.

S*T

8. Mr_Webmaster

Mr_Webmaster

I use Windows Media Player 9 to rip CD's, but It records them in WMA format. I suggest using anything but RealPlayer, or RealOne. These take up a lot of resourses.

9. Shadow2531

Shadow2531

Lame, with the right settings is supposed to be better quality than other encoders, but I really haven't heard an example of a song that shows that, but I trust those with the EAR to hear those differences.

I tend to encode most of my files to .ogg

They sound better than mp3s. Big difference.

http://www.vorbis.com/

Since I use winamp as my audio player, I have no problems with compatibility.

.vqf is about dead, although depending on the song, vqf files can sound a lot better than mp3s.

you got mp3 plus, mp3 pro, aac, and all that, but OGG Vorbis sounds the best in my opinion.

Plus nero supports the ogg plugin. There are lots of programs for encoding, playing, converting ogg files.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/133706

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice