1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I need a server

Discussion in 'Networking' started by virtualgeorg, Oct 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. virtualgeorg

virtualgeorg Thread Starter

I need a server with the following specs:
    Pentium 4 @ 2.4 GHz
    Server Class Motherboard (ASUS)
    1 GB Ram
    4 x 80 GB 6B IDE MD w/ 8MB CACHE
    CD - Burner
    ADAPTEC 2400 A IDE RAID - 5 Controller Card
    Floppy / Mouse
    Hot Swappable Back Plane

Can anyone suggest a place where I can buy one online? I looked through pricewatch but it is hard to find one with the exact specs needed. Guess I should email a couple of the vendors who sell on pricewatch.

I have never built a server but have built tons of pc's over the years. Is it a lot more difficult to set up the raid card and HD's if I just bought all the components seperately? I know now I can find complete desktop pcs assembled cheaper than buying the parts and assembling myself.

Thanks,
    GB

2. wedor

wedor

If you use SATA drives SuperMicro makes a case with the SATA drive racks and a backplane. Build your own, it's no big deal.

3. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Why not just price one out at some of the major manufacturers websites. Dell has some pretty cheap ones these days. My latest TigerDirect magazine also showed some pretty decent server class machines.

4. virtualgeorg

I can't find one with those specs at any major websites or am looking in the wrong place. Seems to be hard to even find barebone systems with asus boards.

I would like to build one myself just because I never did one. I will see how much I can save first.

Can you tell me what kind of case I should use? I am not familiar with the backplane and raid setup and see tower, 2U, 3U, rackmount etc. etc. and I am not sure what to get?

Thanks,
    George

5. wedor

wedor

6. wedor

wedor

7. Rikku

Rikku

I have about 8 in my office that I've built over the past year - the newest nearly match your specs. None of them have ever given me even a hint of trouble

The last couple I built were:

Antec Plus 1000 SOHO Server case with Tru430Watt PS
    Intel P4 2.4Ghz CPU
    Intel D865PERL mainboard
    2 x Kingston 512mb DDR3200 memory
    Adaptec 2400A RAID controller
    2 x 120GB Western Digital Special Edition HD
    some cheap TNT2 video card
    Intel LAN is on board...

Runs quiet and reliably! I've run Windows 2000/2003 server, Netware, Linux on these and they work fine.

8. virtualgeorg

Thanks for all the replys! Sorry but I am not familiar with servers but the specs I posted mention a backplane, is this where the drives are installed and it makes them "hot-swappable"?
    Is it usually on the back hence the name?

The supermicro case looks like it has the removable drive bays on the front but that gives me the 4 hot swapable drives that I need. Is that a backplane that goes on the front?

So I will get the supermicro case recommended, and asus server board, then a an adaptec 2400 raid controller and that should all work together?

After I install, cpu/fan, mem, cd-burner, 4 - 80 gig drives & 2 nic cards that should do it?

What about cooling fans? Is there something I should get for the hard drives or case?

After shopping around it looks like I will save quite a few bucks building it myself.

Thanks for all the help!

-George

9. wedor

wedor

I don't think the 2400 is the correct card it will not work with a backplane, the 2410 would be the correct model for SATA drives and a backplane. The "back"plane is just that, a circuit board in "back" of the drives, it allows them to be hot plugged in this case among other things. The drive racks in the SuperMicro case plug into a backplane that is just behind the drives or in "back" of them. The terminology can be confusing. The drive racks have their own cooling, the case should come with a fan as well but you should be able to tell from the specifications what exactly is included.

10. virtualgeorg

I want to use a single P4 processor and preferrably an asus board. The only single board I could find was an asus nrl-ls http://www.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=NRL-LS

but it doesn't have sata. Anyone know another asus board that supports sata and uses a single P4?

Or can I just use ide drives in the supermicro case listed above or do they have to be sata.

Or if I want to use that asus board that does not support sata do I need a different case and is there one that has 4 hot swap ide bays?

Thanks,
    George

11. virtualgeorg

Sorry I get so confused but if I use the 2410 adaptec controller then the sata drives plug into it so it does not matter that the motherboard does not have sata, right?

Thanks,

GB

12. wedor

wedor

Correct.

13. virtualgeorg

The supermicro case has a lead for led light for drive activity on the sata backplane. Each drive has led lights on the front. However the adaptec 2410 raid card does not have a drive activity connector. I looked it up on thier website and made sure. There are two led lights on each drive and I wonder if the lights will indicate a drive failure?

Since the asus board does not have a sata drive activity either will this cause me any grief down the road in case of drive failure?

If a drive fails I can go into the raid configuration utility and it appears that it shows all drives in order and it will tell me which drive is bad or it will be greyed out. It looks like drive 00 is the top, 01 the second etc. so I should be able to tell which drive is faulty and I hope I don't need the drive activity lights for anything???

14. wedor

wedor

Even if you had activity lights you would still have to physically watch the system for potetial problems and even a failing drive can make a light flicker. The monitor is a much better method of keeping track, you could always make note of which drive is which as you install them or pull one out later to see which one is missing from the array.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/170577

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice