1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I Need a Simple and Fast Way to Back up my Data

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by freedave, Jun 3, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. freedave

freedave Thread Starter

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3470 CPU @ 3.20GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 58 Stepping 9
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 8066 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics, -1984 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 475 GB [SSD] (365 GB Free); E: 931 GB [SATA] (421 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Hewlett-Packard, 339A
    Antivirus: Kaspersky

I am considering trying Backblaze, backing up to a USB flash drive, and/or creating an image, but I don't have much of a clue as to how to do any of those or what would work best for me. I have most of my data in notepad files . . . Dave

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2019
  2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Backblaze or any other online backup system are fine IF, you have internet service with a high upload speed OR the amount of data you intend to backup is small.

Creating an image is fairly fast and simple. Just get another SSD of equivalent size to hold the contents of your C drive. There are numerous options here, but I use Macrium Reflect.

You could also simply create backups. Get an external USB 3 type HDD and backup with software such as AOMEI Backupper.

I try to do quarterly images (with Macrium) and monthly backups (with AOMEI). But you could just as easily only use one type.

3. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    For data, I use SyncBack Free and back up to multiple external drives at the end of each session.

https://www.2brightsparks.com/freeware/index.html

I've used it for about 15 years with no issues.

For my Win 7 drive image backups, Acronis True Image is free for WesternDigital and Seagate hard drive owners.

https://www.wd.com/products/features/acronis.html
    https://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/discwizard/

I back that up to two external hard drives. Because my Win computers are only used off line and the software doesn't change or need updating, I seldom need to update those drive images. But that's just me.

As far a data backups, imo, usb flash drives aren't that good for long term backups , like in terms of years. I've read stored flash memory tends to lose data over periods of long time. ( Same with external SSD long term storage. ) I do use usb flash drives as temporary backup.

But every one seems to have various needs and as they say ....one size doesn't really fit all :D
    So that's just my own plan :)

4. freedave

freedave Thread Starter

Thank you very much, Oddba11 and Johnny b -- I don't have enough knowledge to do any of those things. I do have an extra 120 GB SSD. Is there a way I can back up my notepad .txt files? Dave

5. lunarlander

lunarlander

Just connect your SSD and highlight all your notepad files and do copy then paste onto your SDD's backup folder which you create.

6. freedave

freedave Thread Starter

Thank you very much, lunarlander -- I appreciate your help . . . Dave

7. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
  8. freedave

freedave Thread Starter

Thank you very much, managed -- I'll look at this . . . Dave

9. JeremiShow

JeremiShow

AOMEI Backupper time-tested program
    Pretty popular program

10. freedave

freedave Thread Starter

Thank you, JeremiShow -- I do not have enough understanding to use any of the solutions proposed here . . . Dave

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1228073

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice