1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I Need A Standard Character Reference For A Job Interview

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by sharky, Nov 20, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sharky

sharky Thread Starter

MY BROTHER IN LAW asked me to find him a standard character reference for his upcoming job interview. does not have to be anything fancy.

he just came out of a 5 year stinct with the army,honorable discharge with army rangers.

i quickly thought of techguys forum for help in finding a site. i assume there is such a site somewhere in the internet world.

thanks sharky

2. jbcalg

jbcalg

can't he go with: i'd give you character references, but then i'd have to k*ll you?

here's one, links to other sites too
    http://jobsearch.about.com/library/weekly/aa121700a.htm

i work in hr, and normally character ref letters aren't worth the paper they're written on - as the focus tends to be on work related skills, technologies etc

in his case they probably have more weight or bearing as his experience probably isn't directly related to the work he's looking for - so any employer will have to look for transferable skills etc (i'd suggest he emphasize that in any interviews, how his relevant army experience etc is transferable to the workplace)

3. sharky

sharky Thread Starter

thanks for the quick reply. i was thinking my request was somewhat vague. it is. i am under the impression there is a site where you print out a character reference and just attach your name on it. i'll look into the site you provided.

you so right about the value of character references not being worth much. i wonder why even mininum wage job openings are asking for them when they know that truth.

thanks,your friendly neighborhood shark

4. jbcalg

jbcalg

oh, fill in the blanks huh

well here's sort of a place like that but don't know how much good it'll do for jobs
    try here

5. sharky

sharky Thread Starter

thanks
    i used jobsearch.about and drawn up a nice and to the point character reference.

problem/question resolved

thanks shark

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/59105

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice