1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I need a temporary way to induce detection of DirectX 8.1 instead of DirectX 11.

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by IAmUltraCool, Sep 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. IAmUltraCool

IAmUltraCool Thread Starter

On running dxdiag, it states that I'm running DirectX 11, which is true. So I go into the registry, and the DirectX version key has the info that I'm quite sure is associated with DirectX 9.0. I tried changing the key (through regedit.exe) to the common 8.1 key in case it would work (so HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\directx\version to 4.08.01.0810 from 4.09.00.0904), yet even so dxdiag still states that I'm running DirectX 11. It surprised me that DirectX 11 had a 9.0 version key, and I know this method worked back in DirectX 9.0, so I'm thinking after 9.0 the version must be communicated in a way other than through the registry. Is there any way I could get my computer to detect DirectX 8.1 even for a short time in place of DirectX 11? Like am I missing a necessary key, or maybe is there a DirectX version synth program?

Thanks

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  3. IAmUltraCool

Well, my friends and I used to do a lot of programming, my friends far more than me because they're far better at it, and I'm trying to install some really old executables they made, and one of the first actions is that it checks or directX 8.1 for some audio support in the one I'm trying to install now, and failing that will not install. I lost the source code a long time ago, and so can not modify the file myself right now in any sort of effective way. Plus my friend that made it's a programmer since he continued with it, and I'm not. I assembled a new computer quite recently, and had a hard time installing some of my older games such as Warcraft 3 and Starcraft (it took forever to get the colours to look even reasonable in Starcraft, and since I have the "battle chest" for just my blizzard games, it's a lot of CDs. Plus I bought the games, and don't want to have to buy them again, and I'm not going to download them illegally just for an update especially when I have a valid license for them all just to reinstall the OS to get my friend's program to work) so I don't want to do anything such as reinstalling the OS that would format my HD, and probably not work in the end anyway. I've got Windows 7 right now, and only have the install disc for windows 7 still with me. So I think the best solution would be to eplicate DirectX 8.1 for a short time to install the file, and restore my system. From what I know, modifying the registry would do this perfectly, but quite simply, it didn't. Plus, since it's no wide market file, just something made for fun, there's no patch. And my "friend"...I should not have referred to that way, since we're not on great terms now, so if he knew some brilliant solution, I cant find out. That's why I'm here, since my knowledge of a computer is not so extensive, and I hope that's more than enough detail. Thanks for the quick reply. And DirectX 9 wont work, it has to be 8.1, because it was just a temporary fun program, and I didnt expect to use it so long. It specifically checks for 8.1, but I dont remember how, obviously not just by the registry. I've tried everything. Installing 8.1 just for the resources, changing the registry, I have no idea what it's searching for. I just know it's specific to 8.1 or before. Thanks

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    What version of Windows 7 do you have? Pro/Ultimate allow you to install Windows XP Mode.

5. IAmUltraCool

Ah yes. To that, I can unfortunately only say home premium. That is a good idea though, probably would work, if I owned either. I am quite sure the software can function in any DirectX after 8.1, just the installation requires 8.1, and the XP mode makes sense for the registry edit, if only I had the option. I was just hoping for a solution of lower financial impact. I do have a friend that would sell me his third software license for the upgrade to Ultimate, just for several months I have no method to contact him.

6. valis

valis Moderator

pretty sure it will run on any version of W7......check here to download and find out.

7. valis

valis Moderator

You will have to validate your OS, however, with Microsoft when you download the XP mode pack.

8. IAmUltraCool

It is stated in the website after some of the information options are selected that only enterprise, professional, and ultimate can download xp mode, so it looks like just a repair download

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1017119

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice