1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I need a zipped copy of OE 6.0

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by sfriedman, Sep 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sfriedman

sfriedman Thread Starter

My other computer crashed. I had to replace the hard drive. I can't get onto the internet. Is there a way to get a zipped copy of OE 6.0? I'm running Windows XP on this computer & Windows 98 release 1 on the computer that crashed.

I have a message that says: "Outlook Express could not be started because MSOE.DLL could not be initialized. Outlook Express may not be installed corretly."

Is there a way to get the missing file & save it to a floppy disk?
    Then put it into the other computer. If this can be done, where do I get the file? & what is the path to copy it over?

Steven

2. Miz

Miz

Outlook Express comes with Windows; specifically, Internet Explorer. Msoe errors have a number of causes. See if the information in this MS KB article helps.

However, a non-functioning Outlook Express shouldn't have anything to do with not being able to get online.

Assuming you want the Win98 computer to get online, how do you connect to the net? Dialup modem or broadband (cable or DSL)? Whichever it is, you'll need to set it up on the Win98 computer from scratch.

If you need help with that setup, post back with the answer to the above question and help will be forthcoming.

3. sekirt

sekirt

Miz
    Will that MS sheet work for OE6? It only lists version 5.

When I had MSOE problems, I reinstalled IE6 over the top, that fixed it.

sekirt

4. wizzkid

wizzkid

This is a guess:

Create a folder, say on your desktop.

Find the Internet Explorer folder.

Copy the folder and paste it in to the new folder, then zip it.

Wizzkid

5. Deke40

Deke40

This error can occur if one or more *.dbx files in the current store folder are set as Read-only. Close OE and open the store folder in Windows Explorer. Select all files, then right-click on any one and select Properties. Uncheck the box for "Read only", leaving only the "archive" bit checked.

Outlook Express and Internet Explorer share many files. Perform a repair of Internet Explorer. From Control Panel select Add/Remove Programs. Scroll down to Microsoft Internet Explorer and highlight it. Click on the Add/Remove button. When the IE Tools menu comes up, select Repair. Click OK.

Also, you can get to the IE Tools menu by clicking Start > Run and type

rundll32 setupwbv.dll,IE6Maintenance

If still no joy, uninstall and reinstall Outlook Express.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/164869

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice