1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I need advise on upgrading my Laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by fulinn, Jan 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fulinn

fulinn Thread Starter

Good Day,

I have a standard Dell Inspirion 6000 laptop, OS is window xp home.

I need to upgrade the memory from 512 to 2 gig

I'm looking at a OCZ Dual Channel 2048MB PC5400 DDR2 667MHz SODIMM Memory (2 x 1024MB) . Any problems with this selection ?

I also need to upgrade the hard drive from 30 gigs to 160 gig.

I'm looking at a Hitachi Travelstar 5K160 160GB 2.5" Mobile Hard Drive - EIDE, 5400, 8MB, OEM. I'm not sure if I should be looking for an EIDE or SATA drive, any advise ?

Thanks
    Bonnie

2. bigbear

bigbear

Go to Crucial and run a system scan, it will tell you what your options are and their ram is guaranteed to work.
    http://www.crucial.com/uk/?gclid=CK_7w7yqvYcCFSdTQgodjDKDsQ
    You need to get a Dell compatible hard drive, if you just get one "off the shelf" chances are it won't work.
    You also need to check if there is a bios limitation on how big a drive you can install

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/673165

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice