1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I need an easy, simple basic css stylesheet tutorial

Discussion in 'Software Development' started by starchild, Sep 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. starchild

starchild Thread Starter

I've been looking at them and they all seem different. One will say to do it one way, and one another. And some have things on it I don't really need or want now, just makes it more confusing (like make the first letter of every paragraph a different size or something)

I don't really know javascript, so it would be nice to have like a template, maybe? A cheatsheet? A basic style sheet, I could take something out of or change what's there.

I just went over one on Boogie Jack's and finally figured out what the link, embeded and inline means. But most of what I try the tutorials show doesn't work for me.

I have a job making a website for someone, that involves putting up a lot of pages, basically the same. Online stories, poems, etc.

I started it in the usual way, (html coding) but know this what stylesheets are made for. I've spent several days trying to figure this out and finally got one to show a red page with white letters (not centered).

I like the idea of setting up a stylesheet and uploading it as .css and then putting the link in the head of the page (and whatever text for that page, any images, etc. on it in the usual way.)

I've done websites like this before and set up a form (with the colors, coding, etc) and just put the new text in each page and named it, saved it, and the basic page was still there for the next one to be set up. This is fairly fast and simple. But I still had to go over the text and add <br> and spacing, etc.

I like the way stylesheets work, so much smoother (it seems)

Anyway, I need a fast, simple way to learn how to set up a stylesheet that would just have background color,(maybe border) margins, font, and maybe a line of links along the bottom (which I would change on each one manually go go from page one, to two, etc)

Also... I like to use a stylesheet (I think it's embedded- in the head. I've been using it since before I knew about stylesheets) to highligh links when the mouse goes over them.

<style type="text/css">
    <!--
    a:hover {background-color: #C4FFFF;}
    -->
    </style>

From what I've heard about the order, I think the link to the stylesheet page that is uploaded would go in the header first and then the mouse-highlight one?

This would be okay like this, with the link to the stylesheet page above it?

Maybe someone knows a tutorial like I want and can point me in the direction?

Thanks,

Carrie

2. Chicon

Chicon

3. starchild

starchild Thread Starter

Looks good, thanks!

~ Carrie

4. TypeSK

TypeSK

to really utilize CSS your going to have to learn it more in depth .... to know how to control looks of whole pages, rather than just elements ... a basic understanding will only let you change basic element properties, rather than whole page looks ..... but that comes with designing the stylesheets and the pages correctly .....

5. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  6. starchild

starchild Thread Starter

Someone has been telling me in another topic (the subject came up) that Dreamweaver will set up a stylesheet In the meantime I looked on a friend's website (stylesheet) and see she made it with Front Page.

I have Coffee Cup, which has a style sheet Wizard but it doesn't seem to do much and I still don't understand what it's doing.

I agree, it's best to learn all about it and not just the basics, before I can use it for a website. It just seems like the one I am doing is a perfect set up for it.

I do understand the different ways of linking it, like one the stylesheet (.css) is uploaded and the link TO it is put in the header of each page.

Another, the stylesheet info is put IN the header of each page.

Is that correct so far?

Which is the best way? I would assume if a lot was being done it would be the uploaded and linked one?

Also, if more than one command is put in, it goes in order of where it comes on the page?

I usually use a mouseover (highlight the background of a link) on pages, which is a css stylesheet (I found and used before I understood what it really is) and this could also go in the header, wherever the links I want to highlight come on the page? (like along the bottom it would be last)

And, do I only need one set of STYLE and /STYLE tags at the start and end of all of the stylesheet coding?

Hope this isn't too confusing to answer, I'm thinking of it as I write.

~ Carrie

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/272911

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice