1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I need an extended Zoom camera that is faster!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by bj nick, Nov 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bj nick

bj nick Thread Starter

I have a Lumix ZS3.....I've had three Lumix cameras in a row, and I love the extended zoom, and the ease of use and all that....but I have two issues with this camera: 1) its "scenes" choices don't make sense to me, and don't include the most basic need I have, which is "indoors" or under flourescent lights. 2) It is V E R Y S L O W.......You hit the shutter and sometimes a second and a half later, the picture is shot. That is criminally slow. I lose a lot of good shots that way.

So.....somewhere around the $300 range, can someone suggest a good extended zoom camera that might be better suited to my needs? I would settle for a little less zoom.....but have to have at least 6-8x......

Thanks!

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    unfortunetly thats where you have to pay lots of money for that facility

on high end DSLR camera to get a good zoom and also a wide aperture - you can pay £1000s just for the lens

Aperture is the hole in the lens that allows light through - the smaller the F number the bigger the hole

so what you are looking for in the specification are a couple of things

1) a large aperture range at the zoom end - apertures are quoted as numbers like F2.8, F5.6 the smaller the number the larger the aperture - which allows more light into the camera
    But as the zoom extends the aperture often reduces so you may see a camera quoted as F2.8-F5.6 which means at the extended zoom end the aperture reduces to F5.6 - again you pay 1000s to have a lens that keeps the same aperture across the zoom range
    2) ISO rating - you can change the sensitivity of the sensor - by changing the ISO rating - often available from 50 to 400 on smaller compact cameras - the larger the number the more sensitive the sensor is - but the downside is the poorer quality the image may be

so if i look at steves digicams reviews for that camera http://www.steves-digicams.com/came...dmc-zs3/panasonic-dmc-zs3-specifications.html
    the specification is

SO that means an a wide aperture at the widest telephoto setting and a small aperture at the telephoto end

so when in low light try changing the ISO to the highest setting
    to take pictures under florescent lights - you need to change the Auto White Balance, which the camera does not seem to have - check to see if you do have a fluorescent setting
    BUT some image editors maybe able to remove the colour cast often green

I'm not sure you will get a better camera for your price range

Try putting the camera on to a surface and using the self timer - or a tripod and use the self timer
    set the ISO to the highest and see if the quality is acceptable
    take the image at the highest quality setting and widest telephoto setting a use an image editor to crop the image

hope that has not confused you -
    steves digivcam is a great site for reviewing cameras - also dpreview

not really answered the question as to what to recommend , but i do not think you will achive the results you are after with the budget -

3. Soundy

Soundy

etaf has pretty much covered it - the performance you're looking for will be difficult to find in a point-and-shoot camera, and nearly impossible to find in the price range you're asking for.

P&S cameras will be particularly poor for low-light because their small sensors can't collect as much light as their larger DSLR cousins.

4. bj nick

bj nick Thread Starter

Is the hang-up having the megazoom? Because I use other people's cameras and they are very similar to mine and the shooting is much faster; no delay. I am willing to settle for a lesser zoom range to get faster response.

And thanks for the responses.

5. Soundy

Soundy

The hang-up could be any number of things, from underpowered autofocus servos, to poor autofocus logic, to just poor design. Really hard to say specifically for your camera, but "shutter lag" is a well-known and very common issue with point-and-shoot cameras. Even my $500 Canon G12 suffers from it in most conditions.

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    see if you can borrow for a while and then if one meets everything you want to do with it - buy that model if you can

what models are they

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1028597

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice