1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved I need examples of EasyCalc - simple freeware spreadsheet

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Wallenberg, Jun 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Wallenberg

Wallenberg Thread Starter

I'm looking for a Windows freeware spreadsheet to handle a very simple task. I don't want anything complicated because I don't feel any need to spend much time learning how to use it. I've used spreadsheets in the past and I feel that I know enough about them to get by with just a brief list of its functions and a few examples of how to write its formulas.

I really only need a single function - the "summation" (or "sum") function. I need to "sum up" a group of numbers in a few rectangles on a single spreadsheet and that's about all I really need. I found an app called "EasyCalc" that appears to be ideal for my needs. I expected it wouldn't take me much more than an hour to learn how to write its formulas and I was very pleased when I saw its documentation because it seemed to only contain a few paragraphs in total. I don't think I've ever seen a smaller User manual. I usually love apps that have little need for User Manuals and keep most of their documentation in tool tips and/or context sensitive help. But, not this time.

EasyCalc - http://www.softpedia.com/get/Office-tools/Other-Office-Tools/EasyCalc.shtml

Most summation formulas I've seen look like this: @SUM(R2C6,R3C8).
    This formula sums up the six numbers in the 2x3 rectangle bounded by the two points (Row 2 Column 6 and Row 3 Column 8).

Unfortunately, the EasyCalc documentation is so extremely simple that I think they may have omitted any examples or instructions on how to sum all the numbers in a rectangle.

There is one very simple sample spreadsheet contained in the download which is a really good way to document some features. But unfortunately, they have two functions called "rsum" and "csum". These functions sum all the numbers in a single row or single column. They would be sufficient if you only need to process a single rectangle in a sheet. But since they access all the numbers in a row or all the numbers in a column, you need to ensure that if you have more than one rectangle, none of the columns overlap and none of the rows overlap. All in all, that is just not a reasonable kind of restriction and I can't believe there is no other way to sum up multiple rectangles. I must be missing something.

I did make a tiny bit of progress. I guessed the "=" might be used instead of the "@" sign and that turned out to be true. But I still can't figure out any way to make any serious use of this app.

Ultimately, I gave up on EasyCalc and I will use another simple spreadsheet app called "Spread32".

But I sure would like to solve this little mystery and I wonder if any of you might like to see if you can solve it. I find it all very puzzling. Have I just missed an important piece of documentation? Or is this app seriously flawed?

From the way the app is written and the way the documentation is written, I have to guess the author is a very intelligent person and the most likely explanation is that I am making some kind of error somewhere or I am overlooking something somehow.

It should only take about ten minutes to download this app and examine the user documentation. Would anyone here who is familiar with spreadsheets care to try to solve this puzzle?

Thank you.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E5800 @ 3.20GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 4095 Mb
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 6450, 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 931 GB (818 GB Free); D: 931 GB (590 GB Free);
    Motherboard: BIOSTAR Group, G31M+
    Antivirus: None

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
  2. Wallenberg

I will mark this thread as "Solved" because I sent an email to the author and it came back as an invalid address.

I sure would have liked to figure out what was going on with this EasyCalc app. But it's really not worth spending any more time on it.

I can understand why no one replied to this thread. After all, it was pretty embarrassing to admit that I couldn't figure out such a simple problem.

But I thank everyone who took a look at this anyway.

3. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    There are several Free Office programs with spread sheets ....
    Are you interested in trying another Spreadsheet ???

Maybe even Google ??

4. Wallenberg

Thanks for asking Noyb. I appreciate you trying to help me.

I have already found another spreadsheet called Spread32. It's very simple and really perfect for what I want. So everything worked out fine.

I have to wonder if someone tried to play a joke on the freeware community. But that is just silly since it would be an awful lot of work for no real payback.

Thanks again for asking. I'm all set now. At least until my next emergency. LOL!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1212148

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice