1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I need help ASAP on how to scan to a PDF file, compress and email forms

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Barbaram3, Jan 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Barbaram3

Barbaram3 Thread Starter

I am starting a job (I will office from home, use my equipment, etc) One of the first things I need to do is be able to easily scan forms and send thru email. My new boss said "scan, save as PDF, compress, email. I think there may be an easy way to do all this, is there? My scanner is an HP all-in-one type printer, my email only allows 20mb for an attachment. What are the steps to do this. I need to struggle along whith the equipt I now have. But I will be looking to buy new equipt in a few months. I like the All-in-one type of equipment but am willing to consider others. Can you give me suggestions. I will be working thru the internet, filling out forms, sending forms for documentation and signatures, etc. I don't use a land-line phone anymore, only cell, so I need to be able to send thru the web, not fax. Please help.

2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

When scanning a document on my Canon printer, it askes me how I want to save the scanned document, image formats or PDF. It's like that on Canon printers. Can you find a similar option in HP?

3. Barbaram3

Barbaram3 Thread Starter

No, after scanning my HP gives me the option to save or save as. When I click save, it saves the scanned doc in the scanner file/program somewhere, and I can't find it when searching from an outside program. (like browsing for files to use as attachments) I don't know what to enter as "save as" that would get me ahead. Ideas?

4. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

What's the file type list you have to choose from to save the document?

5. Barbaram3

Barbaram3 Thread Starter

I'm not sure I understand the question...I've figured out how to scan to a Word doc., from there Word gives me the option to save as a PDF. So now I'm trying to figure out the compressing part. Baby Steps!

6. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

How big is the PDF? Why do you need to "compress" it? Is there a file size limitation on incoming attachments for the company? If so, what is it? What compressed format are you supposed to send it in as? What operating system are you running?

Is this a skill set that was required by the job and defined up front?

7. Barbaram3

Barbaram3 Thread Starter

I think all that info is in the original text above

8. bp936

bp936

Since this has to do with your job, the best thing is to ask your new boss, he should explain exactly how he wants things done and check with you, if you have all the required equipment.

9. Hughv

Hughv

My Epson scanner also has a scan to pdf option.
    You need to explore the options in your scanning program. You should be able to easily change the default Save location.
    For compression, you can rt-click "Send To/Compressed Folder", but I'm not sure how useful or even necessary this is with a pdf file. Check the file size before and after compression to see if it's worth it.

10. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

I asked what size the file was after you created the PDF. That information isn't in your original post. If it's larger than 20MB, it must be a HUGE form. I suggest you talk to your boss about how to perform these duties. You need to know what they expect of you.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975248

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice