I need help diagnosing a sudden slow connection

Serenia

So I've had this computer for a few years and it's mostly worked fine. I occasionally have to turn off WiFi connection and turn it back on because it'll get slow, but that's the worst of it until now. Now the connection is incredibly slow, and sometimes can't connect at all, no matter what I do.

Occasionally the troubleshooter will tell me the DNS server isn't responding, but usually it tells me it can't find the problem. This computer is the only one with a problem and I'm starting to wonder if I need a new adapter. I've already tried using different drivers. Before I order a new part, does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

TerryNet

Terry
Since other computers are not having the problem likely the cause is not the router. Nonetheless a very cheap possible fix is a simple reset (power cycle) of the router.

Does the computer network OK via an ethernet connection?

What brand and model is the wireless adapter?

Serenia

What brand and model is the wireless adapter?
asus pce-n53

Sadly I have no realistic way try it with Ethernet :/
I'm at work right now, but I'll ask if someone can reset the router for me, who knows maybe I'll come home to find all my Steam updates finished.

TerryNet

Terry
Make sure you have the latest wireless driver from Asus's web site.

Make sure the antennas are secure. I'd disconnect them and reconnect several times to make sure the connections are not corroded.

And make sure that nothing has changed to put an obstacle between the antennas and the router.

Serenia

Make sure you have the latest wireless driver from Asus's web site.

Make sure the antennas are secure. I'd disconnect them and reconnect several times to make sure the connections are not corroded.
Annoyingly, the only driver on their website was a couple years old and I wasn't able to download it to try because of the internet anyway, though if you think I should try it I might be able to download it on my phone and put it on USB.

I'll definitely check for corrosion when I get home though, I only checked to make sure they were oriented as they should be.

Serenia

So my speeds are now drastically better after setting my DNS server to Google's. My 2.4g connection is now managing 6.92Mbps download speed. Still fluctuates a lot during use and the 5g connection still couldn't connect at all at first and just now achieved an impressive 0.19Mbps. It's definitely a weaker connection due to the computer's location in the house, but I used to swap to it to clear up lag while on the 2.4g.

Still, an improvement at least.

Last edited:

Serenia

If you are getting a weak signal because of distance or obstacles then you need to deal with that.
Well even where it is, it used to be comparable to the other, and neither of them are what they used to be yet. Even the 2.4, which has full bars, is bouncing up and down all the video qualities available when I try to watch something.

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Where is the router located? The most optimum place is to be most highest/central point in the home. If the router is low and behind a cabinet door / tv / etc see if you can move it out a little to get more line of sight.

Serenia

Where is the router located? The most optimum place is to be most highest/central point in the home. If the router is low and behind a cabinet door / tv / etc see if you can move it out a little to get more line of sight.
The router is in the upstairs above and a bit to there side of the computer and we've got an extender our ISP set up basically on the opposite side of the house. It's not ideal, I know, but it's not like anything changed; everything was fine until about 2 weeks ago and everything is placed exactly where it's been for around a year now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online