I need help diagnosing WiFi Issues

EricPHO

HELLO!
My internet connection for my computer has really low download speeds, high ping spikes, and periodically cuts out every few hours or so.

I can not use Ethernet because my landlord owns the router and has APs positioned around the apartment.

This is the wifi card that I'm using. I don't think that this is the issue because my old USB wifi adapter had the same connection issues. My cellphone on the same network and positioned next to my computer gets download speeds four times that of my computer, and has a much more consistent connection.

Someone else on another forum had me download a live linux session onto a USB, but he is no longer online. I have that available to help though!

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Build 19041, Installed 20200628133140.000000-420
Processor: AMD Ryzen 3 1300X Quad-Core Processor, AMD64 Family 23 Model 1 Stepping 1, CPU Count: 4
Total Physical RAM: 8 GB
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
Hard Drives: C: 913 GB (849 GB Free); F: 1862 GB (1737 GB Free);
Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. AB350M-DS3H-CF, ver x.x, s/n Default string
System: American Megatrends Inc., ver ALASKA - 1072009, s/n Default string
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

TerryNet

Terry
Do you have the latest driver from TP-Link's web site installed?

Are the antennas in a good position relative to the router or AP (not hidden in a corner or behind the computer, etc.)?

EricPHO

Do you have the latest driver from TP-Link's web site installed?

Are the antennas in a good position relative to the router or AP (not hidden in a corner or behind the computer, etc.)?
Yes, I tested it against another 3rd party driver someone recommended. the third party driver was worse

My landlord owns the router, and has access points installed around. I don't know where they are. I have a wifi card that attaches out the back of my desktop tower which is under my desk against a wall. The angle of the antennae are about 30 degrees away from straight up and down.

Please follow bellow steps to provide network information:

1. Right click on Windows button and select "Windows PowerShell"
2. Copy bellow code and right click into the console to paste:

Code:
ipconfig /all > $home\Desktop\ipconfig.txt
Get-NetAdapter | ? HardwareInterface | select * > $home\Desktop\adapter.txt
3. Hit enter then zip up following files on your desktop:
- ipconfig.txt
- adapter.txt

4. Share your zip file here.

5. Insert bellow command into the console and hit enter to learn network information:

Code:
netsh wlan show networks
This will show all available networks in your area,
please do not share output of this last command except following items:

1. Which one of the following is true for wireless network you are connecting to?
802.11a
802.11b
802.11g
802.11n
802.11ac

2. Next share total number of wireless networks in the output.
3. Channel numbers of all the networks in the output, and specify which channel number belongs to your wireless network.
4. Signal strength of wireless network you are connecting to.

TerryNet

Terry
I have a wifi card that attaches out the back of my desktop tower which is under my desk against a wall.
Well, to state it in a sarcastic way, you are getting surprisingly good networking.

I can think of two possibilities:

a. experiment and find a position for the computer that will give you reasonable communication with the router/AP;
b. find an adapter with a long lead to the antenna, or maybe there are antenna cables you can use with your current adapter, and positiion the antenna(s) in a good place.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online