1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I need help finding a driver for my pc so that it can read my 8GB flash memory card

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by Viens, Mar 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Viens

Viens Thread Starter

i just bought a Transcend SDHC class 6 8GB but my computer doesnt see it anywhere. when i plug it in nothing happens at all. is there a way to download a driver for my card?

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

No, there are no drivers to download.

Does it appear in Device Manager? Do other USB devices work OK?

3. PopPicker

PopPicker

I believe you need a special card reader for SDHC cards

PP

4. Soundy

Soundy

Standard SD card readers won't read SDHC; you need one that specifically supports SDHC. No special drivers are necessary.

5. Viens

Viens Thread Starter

Darn, that stinks. anyone happen to know a link for one of those card readers? I imagine they are not cheap. Thanks for the info guys. :)(y):)

6. Soundy

Soundy

7. wilson44512

wilson44512

what are you using it in? camera? is so did you try using the usb cable

8. Soundy

Soundy

I've never used a camera's USB cable that the transfers weren't dead slow... I can't imagine moving 8GB that way. Took for bloody ever the one time I did it with a 512MB card on my 300D.

9. Hughv

Hughv

Slow is better than not at all. How often do you have 8 GB of images in your camera?
    I have several friends who haven't figured out that they need to wipe the camera's memory of images they've uploaded, or they'll be uploading them every time.
    The card reader above is a USB device with a transfer rate of (Up to) 9 MB/sec, so you're looking at 14 minutes to transfer that much data

10. Soundy

Soundy

So I'm guessing once they get to 8GB, they'll ALWAYS have 8GB. This doesn't help your point :rolleyes:

It took close to 45 minutes the last time I had to transfer 512MB via my camera's USB port. 8GB would be 12 hours, at that rate.

Not at all is probably better than slow, at that point.

11. Hughv

Hughv

"So I'm guessing once they get to 8GB, they'll ALWAYS have 8GB. This doesn't help your point"
    I have no idea what you mean by this. Even the rankest amateur would understand the message that would say "Your memory card is full."
    If your transfer is taking this long, you have some other kind of problem. Perhaps your HD is nearly full, or needs to be defragged?

12. mrss

mrss Guest

I suspect your 300D is USB 1.1 The difference in speed with USB 2.0 is huge, 40X in theory and probably higher in practice.

Sounds like your PC and camera are running USB 1.1 lowspeed, which is exactky 187KByte/sec, and that's about what you said with 512MB/45 minutes (~190 KB/sec).

13. wilson44512

wilson44512

i used the card reader that came with both my pc. the XP and the Vista. and both were slower using the card reader. and 1 camera is a Nikon D40 and i shoot in raw. and using the usb cable is faster then the card reader. there could be a lot of reason why your is slow. it could be the camera. the pc or even the memory card. just because a memory card say its fast. doesnt mean it is.

Viens what kind of camera are you using it in. your camera might not be able to use a card that siz

14. Soundy

Soundy

Umm, no. I've also used USB 1.1 card readers on the same PC and they're far faster.

Camera USB connections, in my experience, have always been a painfully slow way to transfer data.

Damn, you people must really be dead-set against the OP buying a nice speedy USB 2.0 card reader for a whopping $20, to be putting up this much of an argument in favor of using the camera USB.

15. Hughv

Hughv

:Damn, you people must really be dead-set against the OP buying a nice speedy USB 2.0 card reader for a whopping $20, to be putting up this much of an argument in favor of using the camera USB.
    "
    Not at all. The OP has some other kind of problem that hasn't been addressed yet.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/697052

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice