I need help finding a driver for my pc so that it can read my 8GB flash memory card

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Viens

i just bought a Transcend SDHC class 6 8GB but my computer doesnt see it anywhere. when i plug it in nothing happens at all. is there a way to download a driver for my card?

No, there are no drivers to download.

Does it appear in Device Manager? Do other USB devices work OK?

Standard SD card readers won't read SDHC; you need one that specifically supports SDHC. No special drivers are necessary.

Viens

Darn, that stinks. anyone happen to know a link for one of those card readers? I imagine they are not cheap. Thanks for the info guys. :)(y):)

I've never used a camera's USB cable that the transfers weren't dead slow... I can't imagine moving 8GB that way. Took for bloody ever the one time I did it with a 512MB card on my 300D.

Slow is better than not at all. How often do you have 8 GB of images in your camera?
I have several friends who haven't figured out that they need to wipe the camera's memory of images they've uploaded, or they'll be uploading them every time.
The card reader above is a USB device with a transfer rate of (Up to) 9 MB/sec, so you're looking at 14 minutes to transfer that much data

Slow is better than not at all. How often do you have 8 GB of images in your camera?
I have several friends who haven't figured out that they need to wipe the camera's memory of images they've uploaded, or they'll be uploading them every time.
So I'm guessing once they get to 8GB, they'll ALWAYS have 8GB. This doesn't help your point :rolleyes:

The card reader above is a USB device with a transfer rate of (Up to) 9 MB/sec, so you're looking at 14 minutes to transfer that much data
It took close to 45 minutes the last time I had to transfer 512MB via my camera's USB port. 8GB would be 12 hours, at that rate.

Not at all is probably better than slow, at that point.

"So I'm guessing once they get to 8GB, they'll ALWAYS have 8GB. This doesn't help your point"
I have no idea what you mean by this. Even the rankest amateur would understand the message that would say "Your memory card is full."
If your transfer is taking this long, you have some other kind of problem. Perhaps your HD is nearly full, or needs to be defragged?

mrss

I've never used a camera's USB cable that the transfers weren't dead slow... I can't imagine moving 8GB that way. Took for bloody ever the one time I did it with a 512MB card on my 300D.
I suspect your 300D is USB 1.1 The difference in speed with USB 2.0 is huge, 40X in theory and probably higher in practice.

It took close to 45 minutes the last time I had to transfer 512MB via my camera's USB port. 8GB would be 12 hours, at that rate.
Sounds like your PC and camera are running USB 1.1 lowspeed, which is exactky 187KByte/sec, and that's about what you said with 512MB/45 minutes (~190 KB/sec).

i used the card reader that came with both my pc. the XP and the Vista. and both were slower using the card reader. and 1 camera is a Nikon D40 and i shoot in raw. and using the usb cable is faster then the card reader. there could be a lot of reason why your is slow. it could be the camera. the pc or even the memory card. just because a memory card say its fast. doesnt mean it is.

Viens what kind of camera are you using it in. your camera might not be able to use a card that siz

I suspect your 300D is USB 1.1 The difference in speed with USB 2.0 is huge, 40X in theory and probably higher in practice.

Sounds like your PC and camera are running USB 1.1 lowspeed, which is exactky 187KByte/sec, and that's about what you said with 512MB/45 minutes (~190 KB/sec).
Umm, no. I've also used USB 1.1 card readers on the same PC and they're far faster.

Camera USB connections, in my experience, have always been a painfully slow way to transfer data.

Damn, you people must really be dead-set against the OP buying a nice speedy USB 2.0 card reader for a whopping $20, to be putting up this much of an argument in favor of using the camera USB.

:Damn, you people must really be dead-set against the OP buying a nice speedy USB 2.0 card reader for a whopping $20, to be putting up this much of an argument in favor of using the camera USB.
"
Not at all. The OP has some other kind of problem that hasn't been addressed yet.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online