1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I Need Help Formatting Hard Drive!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by neild79, Aug 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. neild79

neild79 Thread Starter

does anyone know if i can delete everything from my hard drive EXCEPT WINDOWS XP, as ive been having a lot of trouble since getting a trojan.. my computer has been running REAL slow since + always recieve error messages.. THANKS

2. cool breeze

cool breeze

Don't see much point in leaving windows on,the trojan will still be there.
    You can always try KILLDISK that will clean everything off, and then re-instal.

But i'm sure someone will come up with something else.

3. neild79

neild79 Thread Starter

where would i get killdisk from?? would that just delete everything frommy hard drive?? THANKS

4. cool breeze

cool breeze

WWW.KILLDISK.COM ,Yes it would wipe the system clean.
    Used it myself when i've run into problems.

Download it and put it on a floppy,reboot with disk in and follow the instructions.
    If i can do it, ANYBODY can.

5. neild79

neild79 Thread Starter

i dont own any floppy disks!!lol could i even put into a cd-rw or dvd-rw?? THANKS BY THE WAY

6. cool breeze

cool breeze

Killdisk give the option of floppy or cd.I don't think it will matter,i just use a floppy as it's easier for me.

7. neild79

neild79 Thread Starter

PLEASE NOTE* i will only format & reinstall if i REALLY NEED TO. as i have over 1000 songs, loads of films + games. IS THERE NO OTHER WAY??? surely there is another way around this, isnt there a free registry application that will fix my registry for free?? i downloaded registry mechanic + it found about 700 errors + only fixed about 350 of them because it was a trial.. also i have avgfree,zonealarm, spybot s+d, + ad-aware se but when i run a scan with these they find only so many spyware etc..i have already run countless virus, spyware scans, i also had pcguard which i got from telewest... i have used countless programs to try + SORT THIS OUT(spywareblaster, counterspy(which i cant uninstall as it says windows script host access is disabled, WHATEVER THAT MEANS!!)) THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP SO FAR....

8. replay

replay

why dont u post in the security forum on this site ...they wiil have u post a hijack this log and help u get rid of the infection...or just reload windows which will clean off your drive when u format

9. replay

replay

u could also buy a slave drive and drag all your music and movies over....... then the reload wouldn't be so painfull

10. neild79

neild79 Thread Starter

ALSO, my original windows xp disk has a big crack down the middle of it(DUNNO HOW THAT HAPPENED). just by luck i made a copy of it just before it happened, but the last time i had to reinstall windows xp it said something about reaching a limit + i had to phone windows...my mate says they wont activate it over the phone again, IS THIS TRUE??? I PAID A LOT OF MONEY FOR MY PC + WINDOWS DISK + DONT THINK THAT THEY CAN DO THIS, CAN THEY??? HOPE NOT, if so then that is so UNFAIR...lol THANKS

11. neild79

neild79 Thread Starter

i have a slave drive but it kept saying s.m.a.r.t. disk bad back up + replace.. i think i may have a drive in an old computer, WOULD THAT DO??? if so, could you please tell me how to transfer my music etc over to the other hard drive?? THANK YOU P.S could i also put the installers for things like nero7 ultra,, etc onto the 2nd hard drive like this???

12. cool breeze

cool breeze

i've had to do a few re-installs and had no problem in activating windows again.Just phone the number and tell them you've had to re-install.
    Know what you mean about so much to lose, i had 500 cd's on mine + all the rest of the stuff,real pain loading it back, took me 2days.

Replay, surely if there is a trojan he might end up transfering it over.

13. cool breeze

cool breeze

Just been reading through the posts again, Replay suggested using "Hijack this" it could be less painful as someone will be able to tell you how to get rid of any malware/trojans.

You can get HIJACK THIS from www.download.com

14. neild79

neild79 Thread Starter

i already posted a couple of hijackthis logs.. in hijackthis there is the option to check the boxes next to all the information from the result of hijackthis's scan + the option to fix the boxes that i would place the checks, anyway here it is again...Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
    Scan saved at 23:03:32, on 06/08/2006
    Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\Program Files\Alcohol Soft\Alcohol 52\StarWind\StarWindService.exe
    C:\Program Files\AlienGUIse\wbload.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Sunbelt Software\CounterSpy\Consumer\sunserver.exe
    C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_07\bin\jusched.exe
    C:\Program Files\PowerISO\SCDEmuApp.exe
    C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe
    C:\Program Files\BitTorrent\bittorrent.exe
    C:\Program Files\PeerGuardian2\pg2.exe
    C:\Program Files\Sunbelt Software\CounterSpy\Consumer\SunProtectionServer.exe
    C:\Program Files\Logitech\SetPoint\SetPoint.exe
    C:\Program Files\LimeWire\LimeWire.exe
    C:\Program Files\Sunbelt Software\CounterSpy\Consumer\sunThreatEngine.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Logitech\KHAL\KHALMNPR.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    C:\Documents and Settings\neil dougal\Desktop\Security\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Internet Explorer Provided by blueyonder
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = 127.0.0.1
    O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_07\bin\ssv.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DVD43] C:\PROGRA~1\DVDREG~1\DVDRegionFree.exe /hidden
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WinPatrol] "C:\PROGRA~1\BILLPS~1\WINPAT~1\WinPatrol.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunServer] C:\Program Files\Sunbelt Software\CounterSpy\Consumer\sunserver.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_07\bin\jusched.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SCDEmuApp.exe] C:\Program Files\PowerISO\SCDEmuApp.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MsnMsgr] "C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe" /background
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [BitTorrent] "C:\Program Files\BitTorrent\bittorrent.exe" --force_start_minimized
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [PeerGuardian] C:\Program Files\PeerGuardian2\pg2.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ccleaner] "C:\Program Files\CCleaner\ccleaner.exe" /AUTO
    O4 - Startup: LimeWire On Startup.lnk = C:\Program Files\LimeWire\LimeWire.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: Logitech SetPoint.lnk = C:\Program Files\Logitech\SetPoint\SetPoint.exe
    O8 - Extra context menu item: &Search - http://edits.mywebsearch.com/toolbaredits/menusearch.jhtml?p=ZCfox000
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_07\bin\ssv.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_07\bin\ssv.dll
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/muweb_site.cab?1154301271546
    O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://acs.pandasoftware.com/activescan/as5free/asinst.cab
    O18 - Protocol: msnim - {828030A1-22C1-4009-854F-8E305202313F} - "C:\PROGRA~1\MSNMES~1\msgrapp.dll" (file missing)
    O20 - Winlogon Notify: WB - C:\Program Files\AlienGUIse\fastload.dll
    O20 - Winlogon Notify: WgaLogon - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WgaLogon.dll
    O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
    O23 - Service: StarWind iSCSI Service (StarWindService) - Rocket Division Software - C:\Program Files\Alcohol Soft\Alcohol 52\StarWind\StarWindService.exe

15. valis

valis Moderator

guarantee you got what you got from limewire. First step is to lose that. Not to mention bittorrent. Those two are havens for nasties.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/489935

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice