1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I need help getting dual or tripple monitors setup?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cameronrs5, Jan 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cameronrs5

cameronrs5 Thread Starter

I have been having one heck of a day. I want to set up 3 monitors on my computer. I would be happy just to get 2 of them setup. The onboard video has a cover over it saying do not remove. So I havent messed with that. I have the video card it came with, which is a nvidia card. I bought a dual output ati card and installed it. Right now only one monitor will work and its the one on the nvidia card. I have 3 screen shots of the errors I get. One of them is in the device manager under display adapters. It shows my NVIDIA GeForce 8500 Gt. Under it shows the one I bought Radeon x1300 Series (microsoft corporation - WDDM), I am a little confused because on the box that the video card came in, it says X1550. Also I have screen shots I can email someone of all these. So on the radeon display adapter there is a yellow triangle with a black ! in it. When I right click it and hit the properties it says under device status.
    Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (code 43).

Next screen shot is the one on the bottom right of my system tray, another yellow triangle with a black !. It says...
    Incompatible display adapter has been disabled.
    At least one display adapter on the system has been disabled because its driver is not compatible with the driver for the VGA adapter.

Last error message is.

Warner -
    The catalyst control center is not supported by the driver version of your enabled graphics adapter. Please update your ATI graphics driver, or enable your ATI adapter using the display manager.

So anyways someone please help me.

Thanks!

Cameron

Attached Files:

2. JPLamb

JPLamb

Hi Cameronrs5, Welcome to TSG

Have you right clicked on the new video card (in device manager) and tried updating the drivers? if not try this. if This does not find a new driver then you may need to goto the manufacturers website and download the latest driver for the video card.

It seems a bit odd that the model number of the video card is different on the box and what Windows recognises. see what it says on your recipt. did you buy the video card from a highstreet shop or from the web (if so what site)?

I i have also noticed that on your first screen shot that the sm bus controler has an '!' tif you right click and update driver, this should also be sorted and you never know may help.

Let us know what happens

James

3. matthewdownloads

matthewdownloads

From my experience, ATI and Nvidia cards fight against each other... Having said that, I once did manage to get them working - but there can't be any guarantees.

4. cameronrs5

cameronrs5 Thread Starter

It says I have the latest driver for this, I also did download the driver from the manf. website. Please help.

5. OscarTT21

OscarTT21

What is the make and model of the motherboard you are using? And have a look on the ATI card to see if there is a model number on the sticker to determine exactly what the card is.

I had this problem on my Vista drive when i tried to install an ATI graphics card alongside a mobo with ATI onboard graphics. The problem i had however was due to the old ATI card not being Vista compatible (or no vista drivers for it) and it showed the card as being installed with standard MS drivers.

Like mathewdownloads said, if you read info on installing two graphics cards side by side the advice is to always install the same make and even better a two models that use the same driver to stop driver conflict.
    I have tried installing a Matrox alongside an ATI before with no success.

6. matthewdownloads

matthewdownloads

For the record, I tried installing a PCI ATI ALL-IN-WONDER with a PCI-E Nvidia 8500GT (same card as you). The system didn't like it and used either one or the other with loads of issues.

I took the all-in-wonder out and put it in my other PC with an AGP Nvidia 5200 and I managed to get them working together.

If you want 2 screens, just plug them into your 8500GT (or equivalent card)... I run 2 screens on my computer and it's easy! Just get a DVI-VGA adapter. 3 screens is a problem; If I were you I'd get another 8500GT (or, a better Nvidia card for games such as the 9600). If you really wanted, matrox triple-head-to-go would do your job, and means you can play games over the three screens, but it's expensive.

In summary, if you've got time then try with your ATI (as you have done). If you don't, get another Nvidia card... You can get another Nvidia card for ~£25... a lower end model such as the 6800... Make sure it's PCI-E like your current card is and MAKE SURE YOUR MOTHERBOARD HAS 2 PCI-E SLOTS.

I hope what I said is useful; probably half of it isn't. Let me know how you get on, and if you get your cards working.

7. matthewdownloads

matthewdownloads

Oh, and sorry for double-posting, but you can get USB gadgets that give you a third screen as well... but they're quite slow I think... have a look at that.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/788777

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice