1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

i need help in connecting a desktop and a laptop to a lan connection

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Lasko2, Nov 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Lasko2

Lasko2 Thread Starter

i have a laptop and a desktop and would like to play multiplayer games over a lan connection...i do nopt have a crossover cable so i would like to do it wirelessly.i know it is possible but i do not know how to do it.i have a router that is connected to a cable modem...the router has was 4 wan ports.port is used for my desktop ....my laptop is also connected to the same wireless router..please help me so i can play games with my bro...please...thanks in advance

2. geek-assist

geek-assist

hi there, if you want to connect it wirelessly, your desktop must have wireless capabilities.
    as you mentioned, that " wan port is used for my desktop", it clearly shows that your desktop does not have wireless capabilities.

There are 2 options :
    1) get a wireless USB adapter, connect it to your desktop, come back here and Ill give your further instructions.
    2) if you don't want to do that, might as well get a cross cable.

cross cable is the simplest of all, easy as a pie, but it can also be done via wireless. you just need a usb wifi adapter for your desktop

3. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Your router does not have 4 WAN ports. It has 1 WAN port connected to your modem. It has 4 LAN ports. If the desktop is connected to the router wired, and the laptop is connected wirelessly, why do you have to buy something? They're already on the same network, so I don't get the question or geek-assist's answer.

4. geek-assist

geek-assist

yes, am sorry, 4 LAN ports, but he said in the question that he needs to connect the desktop wirelessly so the only way he can do that is getting a wireless adapter

5. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

That's not what how I interpreted the statement:
    "the router has was 4 wan ports.port is used for my desktop ....my laptop is also connected to the same wireless router."

If the desktop is already connected to the router, nothing else is needed.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1028134

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice