1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I need help...my computer is broken!!!

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by lizzy_luu, Dec 12, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lizzy_luu

lizzy_luu Thread Starter

My computer won't start up....it makes clicking noises and then it starts up the windows screen and then it says "error, must restart"...or something like that. I tryed reinstalling windows, but when it gets to "copying files" it never finishes. Plz help me...anybody.

2. angel

angel

Every time I've ever heard a clicking sound like that, my hard drive was failing/failed and couldn't read from the drive or specific parts of it.

3. pedroguy

pedroguy

Hi:Welcome to the forum.
    A few things the Forum would find helpful to know are:
    Have you added any software or hardware recently?
    What is your operating system?
    Try bringing your system up in Safe Mode and see if you have the same problem.If you have w98 you can do this by holding down both Shift keys
    I'm sure others will have some other things for you

4. $teve

$teve

hi lizzy_lou,before you pull out your hair,try this....Boot to a real-mode DOS command prompt by holding down F8 while powering up and selecting "Command Prompt Only."
    From the DOS prompt, issue the following commands:
    CD \
    REGEDIT /L:SYSTEM.1ST /E MY.REG
    You just created a usable copy of your machine's original Registry settings. Next, merge those settings into the current Windows Registry that's causing problems. Enter: REGEDIT MY.REG.
    The next time you boot into Windows 95 or 98, the system will behave as though you had just performed a refresh installation. It will rerun the Plug-and-Play hardware detection wizard and reinitialize the desktop. But Windows will also retain the cumulative program information on software and hardware that you've added since the original installation.
    This trick takes 5 to 10 minutes to execute. On most Windows machines, it usually resolves shutdown problems, fixes power management problems, correctly reconfigures hardware peripherals and banishes general protection faults--preserving program information, the Internet history cache, and desktop settings. This trick won't solve problems caused by corrupt drivers or program files or an improperly installed operatimng system but it may just help get you back on your feet.
    post back and let us know what happens.
    and good luck.

5. Nick Scott

Nick Scott

I agree with Angel. It sounds most likely that the HDD is either dead or is failing and will die soon.

If you have access to a friend's PC with a net connection (which I assume that you have to be accessing this forum) you can download a program that will check this for you, just to be sure that we are on the right track.

Go to www.ontrack.com/dataadvisor/ and you can download a diagnostic utility that when copied to a floppy disk can boot your Pc and test the hard drive is still Ok.....or not as the case may be.

The instructions for how to create the disk and to use it are all on that site.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61560

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice