1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I need HELP, PLEASE!

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by LUCYJANE, Apr 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LUCYJANE

LUCYJANE Thread Starter

:) My computer went into "safe mode" a few weeks ago and I (like a dummy) thought if I went under "My Computer" & then under "display" I could fix it myself. Well I don't know what I did, but now my monitor is blank. I can't get it to display ANYTHING. I have disconnected all cables and reconnected, turned it off, on, off, on, off and on so many times it's crazy. I'm afraid to take it to someone to fix it because of my personal information on the hard drive. Does anyone know what I might have done and how I can fix it. I did borrow a monitor from my MIL to make sure my monitor was okay and it is. Any Suggestions would be greatly appreciated. LUCYJANE<>< :confused:

2. dr20

dr20

Hi,

Can you see the screen initially when the computer starts but before it gets into Windows?

3. LUCYJANE

LUCYJANE Thread Starter

no the screen is totally blank.

4. john1

john1

Does it beep when you try to start it ?

5. LUCYJANE

LUCYJANE Thread Starter

Yes I Think It Does.

6. dr20

dr20

When you turn on the computer is the monitor's light green? If it is that means it's receiving a signal at least.

If the computer starts normally with the hard drive spinning up along with the fans etc, you're getting a beeping sound and you've tried another monitor and it did the same thing chances are it's a video card problem. You can remove and reseat it or purchase a new one if that doesn't work. One other thing to check for is missing or bent pins on the monitor cable.

7. starwaves77

starwaves77

Hi Lucyjane,

When you say blank . . .

You mean it's got power but it's blackish ......

OR - it looks exactly like it does when the power is off?

Even if you made it into the 'display adapter' in 'device manager' and deleted it, windows would have installed it for you when it booted up again, and worst case scenario if it couldn't find that video card, it will boot up in the 'default' VGA mode, a appearance like 'safe mode'

Unless maybe you changed some other 'devices' besides the 'display adapter' section, , , can you remember doing that?

---------

Like Dr20 says, , listen carefully for the hard drive engaging noises, and the lights on your pc for hard drive/cdrw/cdrom's etc, confirm that, it's essential,

Check your 'brightness' button on the monitor and press it, does it pop up the brightness menu? press them all and see if you get some contact,

Use your 'emergency boot disk' ---- if that gets you something than the problem is with the computers settings,

Check for a reset button on the back of your monitor ,

:)

8. LUCYJANE

LUCYJANE Thread Starter

The computer does start normal, it sounds so anyway. How do I get to the video card?

9. starwaves77

starwaves77

Here's a tutorial for the video card Installing Video Card

I'll look for one with pictures,

BUT -

I don't think that's the problem. Originally it was just booting to safe mode, so it had a pc issue first, you may have actually done nothing harmful in 'device manager' and it could have progressed to this blank screen,

Have you tested this monitor on another computer? If not, do that to confirm the monitor is working, if it is, then you know the issue is pc,

Or, even better, hook up another monitor to your pc, if that works fine, you know it's the monitor,

Unplug the monitor from the computer completely, and then test it alone, it will give you the 'test' screen, try that, if you cannot get that, the problem is with the monitor, check those monitor menu buttons, they may have reset to 0

Try your startup boot disk,
    Save the video card for last,

:)

10. LUCYJANE

LUCYJANE Thread Starter

Thanks I Will Try\check Out These Things When I Get Off Work
    And Let You Know. I Appreciate Your Help.
    Lucyjane<><

11. john1

john1

Hi LucyJane,

With the PC off,
    Shove any old floppy into the floppy slot (except a bootdisk)
    and it should return a DOS screen when it starts up.

unless its M.E. then i think you do use a bootdisk ....

John :)

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/223578

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice