1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I need help purchasing a new laptop.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by blackecho, Mar 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. blackecho

blackecho Thread Starter

Ok, I'm looking for a laptop under 2000$ that is powerful (um, something above 2.8ghz that's not a celeron), upgradable (that is in graphics card and up to 2gigs of ram) plus a case that looks cool (kinda like the alienware laptops). I've seen the new AMD 64's for only 1,600$ but they don't have nifty cases. Any ideas my dear friends?

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Upgradeable video card in a laptop - thats a hard call.

Usually factory embedded on the motherboard in a laptop, so good luck!

3. blackecho

blackecho Thread Starter

Actually, alot of the newer laptops that have came out include upgradable graphics cards. Alienware and Sager are big makers of these kinds of comps.

4. Gordon19

Gordon19

whats a nifty case? hehe:confused:

5. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

Shop at home tv had a really sweet tablet laptop today with all the bells and whistles for only 1800 ;)

6. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

As far as I know, only alienware makes laptops with upgradable video.

All the big name laptop makers are geared towards corporate workers so they're not really into 'nifty' cases.

7. Jtoast

Jtoast

To get a "cool" case and an upgradeable processor you are going to have to go the custom route as mentioned above. All the standard laptop makers(dell, compaq, toshiba,etc) use generic cases with onboard video.

8. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again

I have owned a SAGER notebook for about 3 years now and for the price I have been quite happy with it. I've had no problems with any of the hardware but you can tell that they save money by using cases that are sorta cheap quality. I don't know if they have improved over the years, but for the price, I feel like I got an excellent deal for my setup. Also check out ABS computers. I have had my ABS desktop for as long as I can remember and never any problems with it (www.buyabs.com) If their laptops are anything like their desktops I would not hesitate buying another and their prices are excellent too.

Rollin

9. blackecho

blackecho Thread Starter

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/213722

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice