1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I Need Help Restoring my boot.ini of a RAID0 Array

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Killtodie, Aug 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Killtodie

Killtodie Thread Starter

So my boot.ini got changed on a RAID0 setup.
    First, if I load off the XP CD, go to recovery console, load up the raid drivers and run fixboot that will work right? Loading the RAID drivers before going into recovery concole will let me see the raided drives? if so, thats good, cept I dont have a floppy drive or any floppys near me

second, i got Arconis Disk Director loaded, it sees the RAID0 drives and all the files on them but it doesnt have any form of explorer or an editor.

Is there a PE program out there that will work with RAID0? I trie Ubuntu but it doenst work

Any suggestions?

2. Killtodie

Killtodie Thread Starter

Ok, So I found a floppy driver, loaded my RAID drivers and the Recovery Console will not see my C: drive.

Trying BartPE now but it doesnt see the RAID either

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

Did you install the driver in BartPE? What board do you have?

4. Killtodie

Killtodie Thread Starter

I have an Abit IC7 MAX3 board. I am redoing the bart pe with the raid drivers into it. Question about that. do I just include them in the second line? can I slipstream the whole directory or only the main drivers?

I first did the F6 option to load RAID drivers during PE loading

5. Killtodie

Killtodie Thread Starter

Ok, my n00b *** was loading the wrong raid driver of the floppy. its 3114 not 3112. anyway, loaded PE, now it sees the raid. now, how can I repair the boot.ini in it? just fixboot in the cmd promt

ok, looking on my boot.ini its looks proper. has the right OS there but when I restart the machine it tries to boot of this other PE that originally edited my boot.ini for its purpose

I think that program created a boot directory on my HD. One is called Sources and another Boot. I think thats causing my trouble. Imma move those and see what happens.

after moving those file I now get an error that looks for \boot\BCD directory

this is what my boot.ini looks like
    Code:
    [boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /noexecute=optin

6. Killtodie

Killtodie Thread Starter

So I got the Recovery Console working, ran fixmbr and fixboot and I still get the same error where it tries to load off that boot folder that I moved to another directory. What can I do?

Imma run chkdsk on it overnight, see what that does. Otherwise, overlay? I never had System Restore enabled so thats not an option. Please, if you have any suggestions let me know. I hate formating my PC, even though this one is going on 4 years. Meh

I just dont understand why it still looks for this boot folder on the C drive, arnt those instruction in the boot.ini? which is clean...

7. Killtodie

Killtodie Thread Starter

anyone?

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

There is no BCD registry in XP. So you did something along the way that you failed to mention. The boot folder is also not an XP folder. Both of those are from Vista.

9. Killtodie

Killtodie Thread Starter

I got it working. Stupid software changed the ntldr, fortunately it made a backup.

Took me a while to find it because the new ntldr it created had a creation date of 2 weeks ago and not of yesterday for some reason.

Anyway, boots now

10. Wanderer2

Wanderer2

The proper recovery console command to fix the boot.ini is bootcfg /rebuild.

You do understand with raid0 if a single drive hiccups you lost everything with no hope of recovery? Backup anything you consider important consistantly. You never know when it will all be gone forever.

Highly recommend you engage SMART in the bios so you can get a warning of drive failure. Consider Raid1 [mirroring] next time and leave Raid0 for something other than the OS/data storage drive.

11. Killtodie

Killtodie Thread Starter

I support RAID0 100%. I backup weekly and have 4 redundant backups. Currently using 2x 74GB Raptors that have been going strong for 4 years. I have SMART enabled and run DFT on them twice a year.

I used to have RAID0+1 on my server in the past, but dont have a use for it anymore. I had a friend with a RAID5 array where he accidentally formatted and to top it off his parity drive went bad, I was able to recovery it so I know quite a bit about this. Anyway, my stupid mistake for not knowing that cmd and not seeing the altered ntldr.

Anyway

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/739864

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice