Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

I need help unistalling Windows Me!

680 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  jcce 
#1 ·
My computer is acting up and before I reinstall Windows Me I will like to remove it. I tried over installing but I keep having fatal errors. I think is best if i unistall first and then install. But I don't know how, Please help me!!! :( Thanks! Gracias!

#2 ·
Well, you can try formating the hard drive, but that will destroy all existing data in the computer.

To do this, create a startup diskette. Go to the Control Panel and select the Add/Remove programs. Select The Startup Disk tab. Insert a new Formated diskette in the floppy drive and click on Create Disk.

Use the Diskette to boot the machine. Select Command prompt with CD Support. A letter will be assigned to the CD_ROM. At the prompt type the following:

Format C: /u

Press Enter. At the completion of Format, insert your installation CD and type the following:

X:SETUP

Where X is the letter assigned to the CD_ROM. Press Enter ans follow instructions on screen

Now, before yo do this, post the error messages you are receiving. We may be able to identify. the source of the problem. When posting back, download Hijackthis and run this program. Post the log here and let us take a look:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3155.html

Best wishes!

#4 ·
What did you do? Did you format the hard drive? I asked you to download Hijjackthis before.

If you have not formated the hard drive, start the computer with a startup diskette. Select Minimum boot. At the prompt type the following:

Edit C:\Windows\System.ini

Press Enter.

Scroll down to the line Shell=.

Change this line to read as follows:

Shell=Progman.exe

Press Alt+F, then X. Save the changes and restart the computer.

The computer will start with the Program Manager.

Select File from the menu, then Run.

Type Msconfig and click Ok.

Use the System Restore to restore the computer to a functional state.

Let us know how it goes.

#5 ·
Boot with an MS-DOS floppy, make sure it has DELTREE.EXE on it.

At the A: prompt, type:

C:
DELTREE \WINDOWS
DELTREE \PROGRA~1

Windows ME will be gone, but the other folders will remain.

#6 ·
I really need help! I need all my programs and windows me gone and then reinstall windows me. But I am having a hard time doing so. I need somebody with a good heart, knowledge and patience to guide me thru this process!
Thanks again!

johnwill said:
Boot with an MS-DOS floppy, make sure it has DELTREE.EXE on it.

At the A: prompt, type:

C:
DELTREE \WINDOWS
DELTREE \PROGRA~1

Windows ME will be gone, but the other folders will remain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.