1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I need help upgrading my Dell 4550

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AlienAxeSlinger, Oct 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AlienAxeSlinger

AlienAxeSlinger Thread Starter

Hi everybody, and thanks in advance to anyone who may offer some advice. What I want to do is upgrade my memory and possibly my processor. I believe my specs are at the bottom of the page. As far as I know I can have up to 2 gigs of memory. Right now I am running with 1 gb. Also, I want to upgrade my processor if possible. If anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.:) Ok, here are my specs.
    Dell 4550 400Mhz FSB
    Intel Pentium 4 @2Ghz
    1 Gb ram
    128 mb ati rage graphics
    intel motherboard socket 478

2. Rich-M

Rich-M

Go here and use the scanner to scan your system: www.crucial.com
    It is amongst the best ram and guaranteed to match. My guess is you have only two slost in there which means the only way you can do this is buy 2 new sticks 1 gb each and toss what I would bet are 2 512's in the unit but Crucial should also tell us how many slots there are.

3. AlienAxeSlinger

Hi Rich-M, thanks for the quick response. Well I have tried crucial before and the site tells me that I can have up to 2 gb. There are in fact two sticks of 512 in there right now which I upgraded thinking that I maxed out at 1 gb. Crucial tells me I can max out at 2 gb. However I have a system info program on my desktop that tells me i max out at 1gb in two slots. The program is by Gabriel Topala but I cant remember where I found it. It is a nice tool though. If I can max out at 2 gb then I would like to do so. One more thing do you know if I can upgrade my pentium 4 to a faster Pentium chip? Thanks again.

4. Rich-M

Rich-M

If I remember right you can only upgrade that cpu to 2.2 or 2.4 which would give you nothing but an expense, so no donyt even try.

5. win2kpro

win2kpro

Dell says 1Gb. is max on the ram.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim4550/specs.htm#1101572

The only processor that your board supports that would do you much good would be the 3.06Ghz. with a 533 FSB. This was the only socket 478 processor Intel made with a 533 FSB that supported HyperThreading. They are available if you look around, but they always sell for a premium price.

6. Flags

Flags

I've got a Dell 4550 that I put 1.5 gigs RAM in. It is recognized, but frankly, I can't see a great deal of difference between 1 and 1.5 gigs RAM.

7. MichaelDee

MichaelDee

You wouldn't notice much, if any difference. Where you would notice a difference is if you had 256 or 512 and then went to 1 or 2gb. If you had 1gb and added more, you likely wouldn't notice any difference at all, but your pc would still run a bit quicker.

8. Rich-M

Rich-M

I would believe Crucial and not Dell, as they have a tendency to downplay the upgrade possibilities, especially with ram. They once told me some similar crap on a Pc that had originally shipped with Me as an explanation of them showing 1/2 the ram potential.
    Win2k, this user has 400 Fsb and you are showing them a 533 cpu and I don't think their board can use 533 at all if I remember right.

9. AlienAxeSlinger

Hey fellas, Thanks for the replys. I have been at work the past few hours so I just got back to my machine. The reason I posted is because I want to try to run a few games on my system. Most of them are older and I should not have any problems. However, I was thinking of playing World of Warcraft (I know completely dorky) Anyway the way it runs now is just horrible. I think a better graphics card will do. Do you fellas have any recommondation. It has to be a agp card I believe. Also, should I try and see if I can install 2 gb of memory? Or will I damage my computer? Thanks again fellas.:) :cool: :p :D ;)

10. MichaelDee

MichaelDee

Adding more ram won't wreck your pc, but it may not get used, depends on the mobo.

The agp card depends on your budget, but the higher end card you get, the happier you will be when you don't have to sit there watching your game lag and stutter. It also depends on your power supply and if it has the extra power, or provides just enough to run your current machine.
    Do you know what speed agp you have, 2, 4, or 8? That will also make a big difference in how well the card runs. Here are a few you can look at.

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicat...slc.asp?CatId=2234&Nav=|c:318|&Sort=4&Recs=30

11. AlienAxeSlinger

Hey Michealdee, I believe it is 2x and 4x. Do you have any suggestions. I would like to run World of Warcraft at a decent setting. Possibly some older titles as well.

12. MichaelDee

MichaelDee

Where do you live?
    How much is your budget?
    How long do you plan to keep the pc?
    Do you know how many watts your psu is? You can open the side of the case and hopefully you will see a sticker.

13. reezin14

reezin14

14. win2kpro

win2kpro

15. Rich-M

Rich-M

Great, good find!!! As you said the 3.06 would be really pricey and probably not worth it but if the board can use 2.8 533, well then that might well be worth doing as that would not be expensive at all. I would check eBay for that.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/643421

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice