1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I need help with a computer with only usb ports...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by blackecho, Apr 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. blackecho

blackecho Thread Starter

I bought a used comp today from for around 20 dollars. It's a gateway, but i'm not sure of the brand. It's a small form factor, about 5 inches high, a foot wide and a foot long. It's got two small PCI ports, although they are really little and I don't think I've ever seen them before. Anyway, to my question. It's got 6 USB ports and a VGA out. What the hell?

I went out and bought a USB mouse and keyboard. When I start it, it boots perfectly into the bios (where the mouse and keyboard are both detected) followed by Windows 98. However, once it gets this far it gives me a message saying that windows did not detect a mouse. God. I hit enter on the keyboard to no prevail at the damn text box, it's not detecting the keyboard either. So I'm stuck looking at a warning box, unable to do anything at all. Any ideas as to what to do?

Plus, any ideas what's up with the PCI ports on this thing? Oh, it's a GateWay FlexATXSTC Bro.

Thanks!

2. Rockn

Rockn

The slots you are looking at are probably AMR slots. They are pretty much useless and were generally used for modems. I would boot into safe mode and see if you gat any kind of use out of them. If you can go into device manager and delete the entries for the keyboard and mouse, reboot into Windoze and see if they are detected.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You might go into the BIOS and see if there is "legacy" USB support, perhaps that's required for Windows to see the USB devices.

4. blackecho

blackecho Thread Starter

ok, i tried what rockin said and rebooted to no previal. but i'm gonna try the legacy thing now.

5. blackecho

blackecho Thread Starter

also, i can't find anything to do with legacy usb in the bios.

6. blackecho

blackecho Thread Starter

plus the mouse and keyboard work in safemode.

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Yup, I had this problem once with a Gateway. Ended calling up the customer and asking them to bring in their keyboard and mouse. Must have tried three different brands of mice and keyboards and it picked them up but you couldn't use them anywhere but in Safe Mode because you couldn't get the found new hardware prompts.

On another system, an ACER, found a workaround. Connect only the keyboard and it picked it up and installed the drivers; then plugged in the mouse and used the now functioning keyboard to get through the new hardware prompts. This might work on your Gateway, it didn't work on the one in my example though.

8. blackecho

blackecho Thread Starter

coustemer support told me to reinstall win98... psh. gotta love them brilliant Gateway folks. there's gotta be some sort of work around.

9. blackecho

blackecho Thread Starter

i'm gonna guess that yall've never ran into a problem similiar to this one, eh? i've searched google relentlsly, but with no luck. this is so stupid. grrr. makes me angry.

10. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Howdy folks...

blackecho...

You might get around it like this, in Safe Mode in Device Manager -Keyboards - Driver tab - Update driver button - Don't let it search, choose Display a list - Choose the Show all hardware radio button - under Standard keyboards choose HID compliant keyboard...

Edit** had Update driver button in the wrong place...

11. blackecho

blackecho Thread Starter

k, i'll try that. hope it works cause i don't really want to reinstall. thankx!

12. Macadonious

Macadonious

Blackecho....
    One word for your puter...........

Dinosaur

13. blackecho

blackecho Thread Starter

bwahahaha! it's not mine. i got it for my girlfriend who uses it just to surf the web and use word 97.

i myself have an alienware laptop along with an amd 64 desktop...

14. blackecho

blackecho Thread Starter

and once again, no luck. ah crap! i think i'm just gonna put winxp on it and forget about it. stupid piece of junk... grrr...

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/216871

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice