1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I need help with a memory question.

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by hisbeauty4ashes, Jan 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hisbeauty4ashes

hisbeauty4ashes Thread Starter

Hi friends okay I am trying to buy memory since the stores do not carry the new windows 8 memory I have. As I am looking on New Egg and such I find part of the numbers I got from my memory stick in my computer which is, (PC3 12800) However I am not finding the rest of the numbers on any of the memory cards. The other number is, M471B5733DHo. Now can I pick any ram with PC3 12800, Or do I have to have one with all the numbers on it? If that is the case I cannot find the memory I am looking for. This is frustrating. I am looking for 4 gigs.

Thanks for any help you can offer. Happy New Year!:eek:

2. gurutech

gurutech

PC3 12800 is the same as DDR3 1600. You can get anything stating 12800 OR 1600 (or both).

Check the specs on your motherboard though to make sure it will support it. I failed to do this on my last upgrade, and bought 32gb of the 1600 RAM, but my motherboard only supports up to 1333, so I had to slow down my motherboard for it to work.

Also be sure to note if your motherboard requires "pairs" of RAM, meaning you would need to buy 2 modules with 2gb each, or if you can add a single module with 4gb.

3. raybro

raybro

Try Crucial. They do have PC3 12800 RAM.

There is a changing graphic on the site, one of which will give you the option of using their Memory Advisor Tool. It will scan your computer and tell you exactly what RAM to buy.

4. hisbeauty4ashes

Hi Raybro and I tried to download the scan thing but it wont scan it is weird.

5. raybro

raybro

On the same page, you can manually enter the make and model of your computer and get the same information. As an example, I've attached a screenshot of the web site with the info for my laptop entered.

Attached Files:

6. hisbeauty4ashes

Yes I tried that only it did not have my make and model weird I know. I tell you it was frustrating however I finally got it to download.

Thanks

7. raybro

raybro

Glad you got it done. :) Crucial is very good RAM. I've been using it for years and never had a problem. (y)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!