1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I need help with a simple Tax Question please!!

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by hi!, Apr 14, 2004.

Advertisement
  1. hi!

hi! Thread Starter

!!! ok this year i decide to do my own taxes.. I didn't feel like "giving" HR Block $90 for eazy 5 minutes of inputing figures in a form!! Ok, i'm done with the Federal one.. yeah!! Now i'm stuck with one state question :(

Ok, on the State Form 1040EZ On the INCOME question, 2) Refunds of state and local income taxes (From federal Form 1040 line 10) Ok..??? Do i put down the TAX that i was paid that i figure out from the chart Or do i put down the REFUND that i have coming to me??? Very confused because on the Federal 1040EZ line 10 is the TAX that i have to figure out from the table chart...

Now what confuse me more is when i Look at last years Forms.. She put down 0 for that question???? Help!! what do i put down?? why did she put down 0????

2. cybertech

cybertech Retired Moderator

I'll edit out my response, not because it was incorrect, but I do agree with Rockn. :eek:

3. hi!

hi! Thread Starter

Thanks for your response. ?? I put down what i received last year?? It doesn't say that on the Inst. booklet. It's just says Enter the amount of taxalbe refunds of State adn local income taxes that you reported on your federal form 1040.. If Lline 10 of your federal Form 1040 is blank or if you filed federal form 1040A, 1040EZ.. enter "0"...

:( I am using 1040EZ so do i put in "0" ??? why is that? and i did get a refund last year I didn't have to pay... :( man, i'm sooo close but yet so far!!

4. Gibble

Gibble

And this is why paying an accountant is worth it...but I'd go to a private accountant not HR Block

5. Rockn

Rockn

Shouldn't this be reported like the high blood pressure thread? Won't we be held liable if we give improper tax advice...we are not CPA's for crying out loud!!

I thought you said you already finished your federal form? Use the refund or paid amount on the line specified on the state form.

6. hi!

hi! Thread Starter

No not really.. It's very basic once you get the hang of it and can follow instructions well!!! The Federal Form was too easy!! This one threw me off because it's says Line 10 on the Federal Form and it's different than what it wanted... it could be that i was using a different form.. etc... but's to save $90 is well worth it!!

It ain't that hard at all!!! I'm safe because i have the Old tax packet from last year to use as a Cheat sheet... Basically it's just me and not much to file or to claim so it would be easy to do.. I wonder if i can claim my Computer for work purposes since i did use my Word to make a printouts for work :D

7. hi!

hi! Thread Starter

The line 10 threw me off.. Ok i reread it.. it says From Federal Form 1040.. i am using federal form 1040EZ.. i thought that was the Same form, didn't know a couple of letters at the end made a difference!!

but i'm thrown off because last year's copy HR Block person put 0 for that line??? Should i just follow last years form or go to the store and spend $10 to $25.00 for a Turbotax State program.. naaa!! i'll chance it!! they Own me money so if i mess up it won't be a big deal right!! :p

8. hotskates

hotskates

GET TurboTax software for about $20.00. Its so easy and you will love it!!

9. BLUE66

BLUE66

Turbo Tax is the only way to go - E-File - Direct Deposit - enjoy refund :)

In fact you can do it all on line - down load the program or just file the return
    http://www.turbotax.com/

You better hurry :eek:

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!