1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I need help with my computer setup

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by needassistance1, May 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. needassistance1

    needassistance1 Thread Starter

    May 18, 2015
    I received the Alienware X51 as a gift around a year ago and it has been great to have; but I want to be able to upgrade my graphics card from the GTX 760ti to the GTX 970. In order to do this reviews said that you would need a power supply with the minimum of 500 watts in order to ensure no damage to hardware;
    but the X51 is only capable of using a 330 watt power supply.

    After researching for a bit it seems like I would have to buy a new case that would be able to hold the new power supply, along with the graphics card. The problem I'm facing is if I were to transfer everything from the X51 case to a new case, then would I need to purchase a new motherboard as well? After reading some reviews it appears that the motherboard for the X51 is custom built so it wouldn't be compatible with a new case? I'm not entirely sure since I'm just getting into computers.

    So my question is how should I go about the situation I am in? Should I purchase a new motherboard if I am to switch cases? If I should then what would be a compatible motherboard to go with the 970 for gaming? This is a lot to ask but I appreciate any help or advice given, thank you so much in advance!

    Here is the link to the current X51 rig that I have. http://tinyurl.com/k7xnmcq
  2. dustyjay


    Jan 23, 2003
    First Name:
    the way the X51 is put together you are not going to find a case designed that will be useful for the internal components. T Graphics card is mounted on a daughter board t then mounts to the motherboard by a proprietary connector. The power supply connections on the motherboard may not be Standard ATX connections. You may be able to find a low profile Graphics Card that will fit the X51, but as you said the power supply would be the problem.

    In short You could use the Processor and existing Ram and HDD, you can buy a new motherboard but then you would also need a New Retail Copy of windows as the one from the X51 won't work on the new motherboard and would not be legal to do so anyway. You would have to weigh your budget against your use of the computer (I would assume mostly Gaming). Personally I am not a Gamer there are some senior Techs that can advise you on a proper Gaming setup.
  3. crjdriver

    crjdriver Moderator

    Jan 2, 2001
    I am not a fan of big box gaming systems ie alienware or any other. With that said, you do understand that both the 760ti and the 970 have the exact same pw requirements; ie 500W. If your system has been running fine with the old card, the new one does not use any more pw. Here are the spec sheets for both video cards;

    Just my opinion however IF you want to game with a computer, you either build your own system OR you have a competent shop do the build for you. Big box gaming systems are always overpriced and a compromise in quality of components used.
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1148466

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice