I need help with my hard drive.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ashe4358

My desk top went down, and I got a case to turn my hard drive to and external to pull off my files to my laptop. The problem is that my desktop ran on 2000, and the laptop runs on vista. the hard drive shows the files, yet the files show as empty. when i look at properties on the hard drive, it shows that i have 26,000 files, but i can not get to them. they come up as read only, when i change that it still wont let me read it. i need some help and any ideas that can help me to access those files. Or am i stuck having to fix the desktop. help please. :confused:

ashe4358

I will give it a try. thanks for your help, i will tell you if it works.

ashe4358

i did what you said. i still can not look at the files. they are still stuck on read only. on top of that, 10,000 files are not on the hard drive. what happened to them? the process said that the ownership worked, now i can not find where they are at. i am beyond confused.

ashe4358

the process that you told me to said it worked. each file came up on command prompt and said sucessful. only i dont know where it went. or do i need to use the revcovery program to find them

What process did you follow? If the files were recovered, use a search to find one of them.

Taking ownership does not recover the files. It only helps you get access to them. You still need to find the files and move them to a new location.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online