1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

i need help...

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by BumontheRun, Jan 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BumontheRun

BumontheRun Thread Starter

I have windows XP. A few days ago i restarted my comp and when it came back up i had no audio(it says there is no audio device), no printer(when i try and add a printer it says operation could not complete, and that i know of, system restore doesn't start.

I have tried getting help from other places but still nothing. I want to format the computer to how it was when i bought it using the cd that came with the computer. When i put in the cd and restart the computer it boots normally. The boot order in bios has the cd drive second after the removable disk. When i got the computer it came with windows ME but i upgraded it to XP.

Here are some things i remember doing before i restarted, but i rarely restart or turn off so it could be from a while before.

I installed new drivers for my video card, but when i had the problem i rolled back the drivers to the old ones. I downloaded some security update from microsoft, but i don't think it ever installed.

I did uninstall a game(Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell) demo and when i did it said "Some system files have been changed. Please insert the Service Pack 1 cd to restore them to normal" or something. I don't have the SP1 cd so i downloaded it online and when i tried installing it, after downloading files, it stopped at creating a restore point.

Also i installed a audioc codec(ac3 digital).

I think thats it. If anyone could tell me how i can format it to before or fix the problem, pease help.

Thanks

2. BumontheRun

BumontheRun Thread Starter

I just remembered something and i think its whats broke the comp.

I went into msconfig once to change the startup and while i was in there i changed some settings. Like i turned off some microsoft programs that i didn't think were needed from running but i never rebooted after that and i think thats what cause the problems...but... Now when i go to start>run>msconfig it says it can't find msconfig.

Is it called something else and is there some other way to get into it?

3. Jest8

Jest8

Go to start...run... type cmd
    Then type scf /scannow ... have your Win XP CD at hand in case it finds any issues.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/115016

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice