1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I need help!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by terrylynn, Sep 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. terrylynn

terrylynn Thread Starter

When I start up, the error message "cannot importC:\spp.reg:Error opening the file. There may be a desk or file system error" appears. I had the Welchia worm and just got rid of it so I don't know if that has something to do with it.

Thanks for any help you can give!!:D

Terry

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

3. terrylynn

terrylynn Thread Starter

thank you so much for the info on the search page hijacker. I'm getting ready to do it now!

4. terrylynn

terrylynn Thread Starter

I loaded hijack this and copied and pasted info but then when I went to the forum, it wouldn't let me reply(couldn't paste the copied file in the box). What am I doing wrong?

5. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

If you're doing it right, I don't know why; not sure what you mean by "won't let me", do you see "paste" in dark text when you right click on the message box?

If you have the Scanlog open, click Edit > Select All (the text should highlight), then click Edit > Copy

After that you should be able to right click on a message box and select "Paste".

If you continue to have trouble with it, just rename the file Scanlog.txt

and then upload it as an attachment.

6. terrylynn

terrylynn Thread Starter

We just installed Windows XP and it won't find the internet, even though it says the internet is connected. It also won't go into quick books or connect the printer. I called the cable company to see if it had anything to do with the DSL and she said it sounds like a firewall. We looked everywhere we knew to look to see, but didn't see one. She said we needed to uninstall and then reinstall Windows XP. Is that the only option? any suggestions?

7. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

XPs Firewall is not generally enabled by default. Do you have any other firewall? Run msconfig and look under the Startup tab for any other programs. Uncheck them all if necessary.

By the way a reinstall will not correct the original problem, any startups previously present will just remain.

To check if XPs Firewall is enabled follow these instructions:

http://www.duxcw.com/faq/win/xp/firewall.htm

8. terrylynn

terrylynn Thread Starter

We installed Windows XP and the IP numbers are all zero. We can't connect to the internet, (printer was installedbut) the printer can't be found, Quickbooks won't open, etc. There is no firewall that we can find. Sometimes the computer just shuts down for no reason now also. HELP! (I'm not great on the computer so it needs to be in simple language:D !
    Thanks so much, you guys are great!

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/166242

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice