1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I need help

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by tony007, Jan 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tony007

tony007 Banned Thread Starter

I have two computers connected to a network I only had one switched on all my plugs are in a surge protected 6 socket adapter. I had a problem with my printer for some reason I decided to move one of my plugs into another socket I cant remember my reason for doing this on doing this I heard a loud popping sound like a fuse blowing I checked the pc I was working with and my printer apart from my printer problem all ok. However when I switched on my other computer on there was no power I changed the fuse in the plug still no power, I changed the power lead still nothing so I'me assuming not necessary correctly that the problem is in the computer, can anybody help all ideas appreciated.

2. Lance1

Lance1

This popping sound, did it come from the computer? It sounds to me that the power supply has gone. Are you OK with hardware repair? If you are, remove the power supply from another computer and install it into the problem computer and try and boot it up. This will confirm if the power supply is bad.

3. tony007

Lance1 I thought it might be that does a psu have a fuse in it because it did sound like a fuse blowing anyway I'll wait a while and see if I get anymore answers then if I decide it is that I'll change it. I'll post again I and when I do this. Thanks.

4. Lance1

Lance1

No, there are no fuses in a power supply. Swap out the power supply like I said before purchasing one to test if that is the problem.

5. tony007

It was the psu I changed it my pc is working ok now. I opened up the psu that I took out it did have something that looked like a fuse clear glass and wire running through the centre it looked ok though but its in a position that if I remove it to have a closer look I could damage something else. Thanks for your help Lance1.

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Actually, there are fuses in most P/S models, though they're soldered in and not generally considered "user replaceable". I ignore such restrictions and replace them anyway. :D

7. tony007

As I said the fuse looked ok so have you any idea what it could be and is it repairable? Thanks.

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If the fuse is good (check with ohmmeter), I'd replace the P/S. There isn't anything else you'll really do that will be cost effective.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/435633

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice