1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I need immediate help formatting my Windows Vista hd back to XP! PLEASE HELP!

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Monkstro, Apr 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Monkstro

Monkstro Thread Starter

please NO ONE suggest KILLDISK or anything like that, PLEASE... the last time i formatted my hard drive was 2 years ago and i actually did this same thing. went from Windows Vista BACK to my XP.. i just cant remember how i did it.. i know i was in some sort of MS DOS looking thing.. and i chose to partition my Vista HD or whatever and straight up formatted it... the entire Vista was GONE and once it was gone, i restared or it restarted for me and i had my XP disc in the CD/DVD-Rom drive and it automatically started installing that on the new and clean partition.. Vista was gone, as well as everything i once had.. but i DID back everything important up...

either way, i need some immediate help in doing this.. i know SOMEONE out there knows what im talking about and how to do it this way without KILLDISK or any other software... i just want to use what i already have, like ive done in the past.. format the partition tha Vista is on and start over fresh and new with XP...

my computer came with XP on it and about 2 months later i received the Vista upgrade in the mail and upgraded to it.. well, i hate it and always have and am now just like, screw it, yes, after 2 years.. but i dont care.. better late than never... please no one suggest what i can do to enhance my Vista pleasure or whatever.. i just want to get rid of it and get back to XP... my computer NEEDS to be formatted very badly anyways, you have NO idea! so.. PLEASE help! thank you sooo much!

so can someone PLEASE help me out?!?! thank you soooo much! you have no idea how badly i need to get this done today..... thank you thank you THANK YOU!!! :)

2. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

See this, it explains it better than anyone could

http://www.theeldergeek.com/xp_pro_install_-_graphic.htm

Screen 5 will not show because you are not using upgrade version of XP

I think the only Major difference you may see is in figure 6, it shows an unformatted partition, yours will show possibly more than one formatted partitions, you will need to choose (highlight) the Largest of these and delete it, confirm the deletion, after this is done you will now see an unformatted partition, choose (highlight) this one and hit Enter key to install XP on it. Deleting the Vista (largest) partition is important, don't skip doing this.

If you follow my instructions on screen 6, you will not see screens 7 and 8, once you hit Enter, it will show screen 9, here choose format the partition using NTFS (Quick)

Screen 10 will not show because you are not upgrading from an earlier version of Windows.

Once XP is installed and you are at the desktop, you need to Windows update repeatedly until you have all the security updates installed, this may take several rounds and rebooting in between to get it done, but is very important that you do it.

Install Av software

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/915674

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice