1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

I need quieter cooling options.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Key_Notes88, Dec 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Key_Notes88

Key_Notes88 Thread Starter

Hello all, I have a machine I built last year with minor upgrades here and there. And I've noticed with some of the latest pc games released this year, my machine is getting hotter and louder. My GPU temps used to never get higher than 75C under load in the past, but recently, they've climbed up to 80C and the fans sound like a harrier jet taking off.

My CPU has been heating up as well. Just like my two graphic cards, the cpu temps used to never go above 74C, but now it's hitting 80C as well. The room temperature's the same and I haven't overclocked any components. The only difference I've done with my PC is upgrade the memory from 8GB's to 16GB's.

I currently have stock cooling equipment on my parts. I've been looking into aftermarket heatsinks and....liquid cooling (something I actually would like to avoid altogether). My questions are:

1. Is air cooling just as effective as liquid cooling in the CPU department with some aftermarket heatsinks?
    2. Is liquid cooling any QUIETER than current gen air cooling?
    3. What's the best way to lessen the noise on a machine running 2 470GTX's? (all the aftermarket coolers I've seen seem to take up two slots that I don't really have available)

Any recommendations on this is highly appreciated.

System Specs:
    OS - Win7 home premium
    CPU - Intel Core i7-930 2.8Ghz LGA 1366
    GPU - (2x SLI) MSI 470GTX's 1280MB
    Board - EVGA X58 3-Way SLI ATX
    RAM - Corsair Vengence 16 GB's (4 x 4GB's)

2. Jparrish123

Jparrish123

my pc is pretty quiet and i have 5 fans in my machine plus 2 in my psu and they are quiet as,
    I have 2 120mm fans in the back, one on my CPU, my GPU and one on the side of my case its only loud when the DVD drive spins up but that only lasts a few seconds. Im going to build a liquid cooling system soon which is apparently "silent" but i dont know for sure, i cant help you with that but you can get silent fans which blow really cool air out.
    i have 2 of these: http://www.ebuyer.com/254078-coolermaster-high-air-flow-turbine-master-120mm-fan-r4-tmbb-08fk-r0
    and one of these: http://www.ebuyer.com/169232-be-quiet-80mm-usc-silentwings-case-fan-bl011
    check them out they're not expensive and they do the job

3. Key_Notes88

Key_Notes88 Thread Starter

My case fans don't bother me so much with the noise. The graphic cards give me the most annoyance in how loud they get just to keep cool. While idle my temps look about right. GPU ~51C and CPU ~44C, again with stock coolers, and noise level is bearable while idle. But under load, my temps start to worry me, with both components getting over 80C, which they've never done before. That's the main reason I'm considering liquid cooling, but a bonus would be stopping the noise of the GPU fans.

My current fan setup is with 2 exhaust on top of the case, 1 exhaust on back, and 1 intake on the side over the graphic cards, I also have 1 intake on the front blowing air over my Hard Drive (which I don't think is very useful, but it's there). I have another spot on the side of the case to put another fan over the CPU, but since the heatsink blows air off the CPU, I figure the fan in the back and the 2 on top are taking that hot air out of the case. So I keep the side fan slot, over the CPU, vacant, so as not to create a dead air pocket.

4. Jparrish123

Jparrish123

my graphics card is an HIS ATI Radeon 5770 HD so its fan and liquid cooled already so i never really had that problem, and my CPU is an AMD Phenom II x4 960T 3.0Ghz and i got an aftermarket cooler and that runs at around 55C on load overall, my gpu is about 70C on load

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1031481

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice